We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europcar - Cancun - Avoid it !!!

Weston, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Europcar - Cancun - Avoid it !!!

Prepaid my car 3 months in advance. Show up at the counter on Dec 26th, and they basically said: Sorry we have no cars, u show up 2 hours late, so there is no car for you. Could not believe that even I prepaid this car, they did not honour their contract. The best thing they offered me was to take me back to the airport with all my family. I was not the only one with the same situation.

Very humilliating situation. I ended renting at another company and paying $400more than expected.

Please avoid it unless you want to ruin a nice family vacation.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Europcar - Cancun - Avoid it !!!

Several lesson here for you.

First, don't ever pre-pay for a rental car. To expect *any* rental car agency to "hold" a vehicle, when cash-in-hand-customers are standing at their counter, and they have already endured countless no-shows, is simply unrealistic. Have you ever encountered an oversold flight?

Second, have a back up plan. The fact that you paid "$400 more than expected" is indicative of someone that was desperate, and had no idea of a secondary or back up rental agent to select.

Sorry, I call it like I see it.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. If you hang around here for a while, you may pick up a few more tips ;)

Minneapolis...
1 post
1 review
2. Re: Europcar - Cancun - Avoid it !!!

They are a rip-off , I payed the insurance and had an accident and they told me they didn't cover that specific crash. If you read this comments and still rent there, all we can say is, "we told you about it" Ariel Peña the manager a complete douchebag.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,571 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Europcar - Cancun - Avoid it !!!

James or whomever you are,

You give yourself away using a Spanish keyboard and saying you're from Minneapolis. Notice how my keyboard works when you type "Pena". Too many 1 post wonders here trying to discreated a business.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Europcar - Cancun - Avoid it !!!

Europcar is the worst car rental experience I have ever had. They gave us a car in poor shape that ended up breaking down on a Mexican highway. They gave us a road side assistance # to call which they never answered. We had to pay for insurance with them even though I had insurance already. Now, this may be a Mexican wide policy; I don't know, but boy was I angry. They were totally unhelpful. I agree with the other posts, rent your car some where else. STAY CLEAR OF THIS PLACE.

Dallas, Texas
1 post
5. Re: Europcar - Cancun - Avoid it !!!

"You give yourself away using a Spanish keyboard and saying you're from Minneapolis. Notice how my keyboard works when you type "Pena". Too many 1 post wonders here trying to discreated a business."— Craig

Or he's striving for accuracy in spelling (unlike your "discreated" [sic] which is presumably meant to be 'discredit'— you get points off for spelling and tense!). I'm on a English keyboard too, but a simple alt+164 and voilà— I get an "ñ"!

Edited: 17 September 2013, 23:01
Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,571 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: Europcar - Cancun - Avoid it !!!

Thanks slofty, 1 post and actually something helpful! Now my only problem will be remembering alt+164. Most all of these 1 post after the fact members are people that did not bother asking a question before they traveled or a competitor attempting to damage another company. If asked, someone would have responded and recommended Easyway. I have zero knowledge of Europcar as I just stick to what is recommended here by many members that have numerous posts. For me it is impossible to tell if a member is legit if they only have 1 or 2 posts. Much worse things could have happened to an uninformed traveler, at least they did not buy a timeshare!

D.F., Mexico
1 post
1 review
7. Re: Europcar - Cancun - Avoid it !!!

I had a similar experience with Europcar in Mexico City. I recommend avoiding them at all costs. Someone told me that Hertz is good.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
101 posts
312 reviews
8. Re: Europcar - Cancun - Avoid it !!!

I had a decent experience with Europcar Cancun. They tried to upsell the insurance, but didn't push it. I took several photos of the car before taking it out the door. The car turned out to be just OK. Not great and had 50,000Kms on it. No problems during returns..

9. Re: Europcar - Cancun - Avoid it !!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 06:20