We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using cash and exchanging money in Isla Mujeres

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Knoxville, Iowa
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Using cash and exchanging money in Isla Mujeres

We just returned from our trip and the only advice I would give is ...we found it easier to pay in pesos. It was much less confusing and cheaper. We did not over pay when we had pesos and our travel money went a lot farther. They like getting US currency but unless you are a math wiz and enjoy the challenge it helps to carry pesos. We did not exchange at home before going and ended up exchanging at Electra ( an appliance store with an exchange house toward the back of the store) in downtown across from Mango cafe. The rate was 11.70 the week we were there. Not great but better than 10 to 1. You could also exchange at a small store on Hidalgo street for the same rate. The ferry terminal at Puerto Juarez had an exchange window and there it was 12.30. But of course we missed that one going over. You can also use your debit card at the ATM at the grocery store and you get that in pesos, but our bank charges a small fee for use of outside ATM machines. So that was of no savings to us. We would just suggest changing money ahead of time at least $100-200 for meals,drinks cabs etc. It depends on how much you think you will be spending. We are not big shoppers so our expenses were limited to food, beer, and fun. You don't want to go over board because the idea is to go home with no pesos..

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using cash and exchanging money in Isla Mujeres

Thanks for the info. We usually just use US $ or credit card-but you have given me ample reasons to get pesos for the trip to Isla!

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using cash and exchanging money in Isla Mujeres

Agree with Lin on this, as a long a proponent of using the peso, at the least, off resort, in Mexico, when on Isla, we're on an almost entirely peso diet. ;-)

And, I also use the same places mentioned in the thread opener when I run short for exchange as the rate is usually better in Cancun.

3. Re: Using cash and exchanging money in Isla Mujeres

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2013, 10:28