We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need pesos?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Do we need pesos?

When at a resort hotel in Cancun:

1. Are there ATMs?

2. Is tipping ok in dollars or are pesos better?

3. Do we need pesos at all?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
757 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we need pesos?

I read an article that said you have to have pecos, that they can't accept USD anymore. But I emailed our resort (Sun Palace) and the front desk manager said USD is accepted all over Cancun!

I am pretty sure there are ATMs pretty much at all hotels, or shopping centers, or the airport.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we need pesos?

We usually take pesos and american never had a problem its up to you i guess. Pesos would make it easier for you to pay them so you dont have to convert and all that.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,325 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we need pesos?

American dollars are still widely accepted in tourist areas of the Yucatan.

However, if you pay for things with dollars, it will usually cost you quite a bit more. You'll often get a really bad conversion rate. As in 10:1, rather than the close to 13:1 it is now. To my mind, well worth using pesos.

Besides, the Mexican government is trying to limit the use of US dollars. There are limits that can now be spent, won't effect the average tourist though. It's all related to the laundering of drug money. Seems everyone should do their part, no matter if it's as simple as using pesos, to help put a stop to the drug trade.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we need pesos?

No one will turn down dollars for tips, for example. But, remember that many of the people you are tipping work extremely long days and will need to exchange those dollars for pesos. They don't shop or live in the tourist areas where dollars are accepted. They will probably need to go to the bank to exhange them, if they have time off when a bank is open. They will lose money on the exchange rate. Etc. So while no tip is unappreciated, tipping in pesos will be more helpful.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
757 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we need pesos?

Thats a very good poing Peter826

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Do we need pesos?

Is it generally easy to get tipping bills (low denomination) changed at the hotels?

.One of the reasons we often end up tipping in American - is that it is easy for us to build a supply of $1 American bills for tipping before a trip. If we take larger denomination Mexican pesos - can they be changed easily when there? (We are staying at the Royal in Cancun)

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do we need pesos?

On my most recent trips I stopped taking a lot of USD and just got peso's from an ATM. Be sure to notify your bank beforehand that you will be using your card in Mexico.

Supposedly, tips go into the tip pool and are distributed later on a paycheck, but just like in the US, you can be sure that not all tips make it to the pool.

I asked a waiter once about whether to tip in USD or pesos and he said pesos are appreciated because they can use them to pay utility bills where USD is no longer accepted.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Do we need pesos?

What is an appropriate amount to tip in pesos or USD?

I'm thinking 20 pesos ($2) a day for the housekeepers will get me good service. And 50 pesos ($5) a day at the pool/beach for bartender/waiter.

Does this sound about right? I'll be staying at the Fiesta Americana Condesa.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
35 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do we need pesos?

Exchange your money. Its not hard, talk to your bank (I used wells fargo $7.00 chrg) they will order Peso's for you, if like me you dont want to use a bank card in Mexico.

I would not want exchange Peso's for American dollars, so I give them the same respect.

These people work hard for their money.

$5.00 per day for our room (around 70 pesos), unless they do something out of the ordinary, then its more like $10.

At least $1.00 (20 pesos) per drink. If you can afford to vacation count your blessings and share your pocket change.

Enjoy!

4 days and counting!!!

Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do we need pesos?

Do not exchange money in cleveland, we got such a bad exchange rate it was like 9 to 1 and you do way better in cancun. Most waiters told us they like dollars better because they got a better exchange also. I know some people don't tip. We like to tip because they work so hard. $5 a day for the waiters by the pool is not very much, they work hard unless you are not big drinkers. I would say $1 every other round or two. 50 peso's is not $5 either with the exchange rate it is like $3.90