We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how are the beaches in cancun?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Topic
how are the beaches in cancun?

we are thinking about heading to Cancun in may and a good swimmeable beach is very important. We are also looking for all inclusive. How do the beaches compare to punta cana?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,866 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how are the beaches in cancun?

Here's a post similar to yours in Beach Vacations:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12289-k5058415…

I have only been to Cancun, and I think the beaches, water, and blue color - is aweseme. If you're looking for a swimmable beach, look for resorts near the middle of the "7" - like near the Hyatt and Riu Cancun. Some of the beaches towards the bottom of the "7" are still pretty awesome, but less swimmable.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
379 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how are the beaches in cancun?

Awesome

Amazing

Beautiful

Blue

Puyallup, Washington
Level Contributor
209 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how are the beaches in cancun?

Well said clatoo . . . and soft white sand. I can't wait to be there in three weeks! We ususally go in April or May and love the water and beach then, hope next month will be good to us!

Although the beaches and water are beautiful in both places, we noticed a difference in the level of service while staying in Punta Cana which made us really appreciate the wonderful people and extraordinary service in Cancun, IMHO.

We've stayed in both Punta Cana and Cancun at Palace Resorts which are all inclusive, Sun, Cancun [Cozumel] and next trip at Beach Palace :-) and prefer Cancun over Punta Cana.

Michigan
Level Contributor
36 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how are the beaches in cancun?

Great question...are you looking for big waves or a calmer surface which can be easily navigated with a snorkel? I believe that the water in Cancun is a 'lighter blue' and breathtaking. Many places in Cancun have huge rocks and sandbags in the water to help prevent from erosion from hurricanes and your feet will find them.

The sand in Punta feels like powder surgar under your feet....but you dont get the view in Punta because the resorts cannot be taller than the surounding palm trees... in the end its like choosing prime rib or lobster!!

Have fun

new york
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: how are the beaches in cancun?

looking for a swimmable beach. i dont mind some wave action but i would like to avoid rocky areas

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,945 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how are the beaches in cancun?

Might check out a live web cam...

www.webcamsdemexico.com/webcam-cancun.html

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how are the beaches in cancun?

looking at them on gmaps will be a good place to start

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how are the beaches in cancun?

Most if not all sandbags & rocks are now gone. They were there because of the hurricane. Beach renourishment fixed that problem.

Munster, Indiana
Level Contributor
327 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how are the beaches in cancun?

We love that the surf is a little rough, if we're looking for calm we head for the pool. The other thing we love is that the beautiful soft sand doesn't seem to get hot.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
8,040 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how are the beaches in cancun?

Beach up and down the middle of the '7' from Gran Melia to Live Aqua were absolutely gorgeous and the water was perfect for swimming when I was there in August. I was amazed that there were more hotel guests in the pool than in the ocean when the water was so gentle and warm.