We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico weather in December-January

England
8 posts
Mexico weather in December-January

Hi, i am still trying to decide were to go at christmas time, last year we went to the carribean, cruised for 7 nights and then stayed at punta cana for 7 nights at the Riu Palace, it was just perfect. I am really tempted to go back but i would like to try something different. Is Mexico nice at this time of year? whats the weather like? and where i the best area to stay? we are looking for some winter sunshine and a nice relaxing break.

Mexico
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
1 review
1. Re: Mexico weather in December-January

Top question on the right has weather charts.

This is the most popular time for a reason.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
245 reviews
2. Re: Mexico weather in December-January

The weather is wonderful, very comparable to that ot Punta Cana that time of year. I've been to both during the month of January. It is just the right amount of heat and lots of sunshine during the day and cool enough to wear a light sweater at night.

chicago
Level Contributor
85 posts
3. Re: Mexico weather in December-January

Pools are very chilly at that time if that is important. Ocean water is much warmer.

Alberta
Level Contributor
325 posts
32 reviews
4. Re: Mexico weather in December-January

If thinking about Mexico I would recommend somewhere like Puerto Vallarta for this time of year on the Pacific side. The reason is weather. I have been to Cancun 2 times over Christmas and we have had at least 1 week of cool, rainy weather bost times. On the Pacific side you are guaranteed sunny weather in the mid to high 80's. The beaches aren't as good but I prefer the guarantee of great weather. Nuevo Vallarta has very nice resorts.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
251 reviews
5. Re: Mexico weather in December-January

I personally love the weather in December. It is warm enough to lay on the beach and relax during the day but not crazy hot (I can't tolerate the heat/ humidity of August). The ocean was fine but the pool was cool. The evenings can be cool, as people have mentioned. I don't mind the cool but do need a wrap or sweater. So if you like the hot hot of Mexico or the islands this may not be the right time. If you don't mind the cool evenings and water it can be lovely.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,571 posts
74 reviews
6. Re: Mexico weather in December-January

I've been to PV the end of October, early November and the water was freezing in the ocean and it's ugly. I liked PV but wouldn't return. The gorgeous blue turquoise water is irresistible in Cancun, and the weather in december is awesome. The water in the ocean was warmer than the pool but if you check the threads there are tons of places with heated pools in December through March.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,933 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: Mexico weather in December-January

Quote:

"On the Pacific side you are guaranteed sunny weather in the mid to high 80's."

You must have the All Mighty on speed dial....If you only come 1 week a year, you are not a weather expert for the area...

Boston
Level Contributor
3,139 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: Mexico weather in December-January

Been to PV a few times and the beach there is blaah. Pick any resort in Cancun with a heated pool and you should be all set. Or else pick Aruba where temperature is 80 degree year round with similarly spectacular beach.

BigTX
Level Contributor
173 posts
9. Re: Mexico weather in December-January

Any hotels with heated pools that allow teens? My searching comes up with mostly adult only. Open to Cancun, Playa, Cozumel....somewhere!

Boston
Level Contributor
3,139 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Mexico weather in December-January

Gran Coral Beach, Ritz Carlton, Cancun Palace, Le Meridien, Hilton, Live Aqua, JW Marriott, etc.