We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gr solaris, recent negative reviews

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
113 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
gr solaris, recent negative reviews

Leaving for GR Solaris March 27th... now stressing over the last 3 reviews being pretty negative... I know you cannot please everyone and I am a direct person who does a great job of saying "NO", but sounds like almost have to get rude with timeshare sales people even at the resort (I already do well ignoring the ones at the airport)... but have to even deal with the towel guy not giving back your card unless you listen to his pitch for a tour package?!?!

ughhh... hoping this was just a spring break push and newbies to Mexico being easily targeted???

12 days till toes are in the sand.... hopefully to relax and not be stressed out!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
302 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gr solaris, recent negative reviews

I was there last summer and also heard negative stories about time share people. We simply told the lady when we first got there that we were not interested and that was it. These people who get trapped for hours talking about timeshares must lead them on in someway. Tell them you are not interested and then walk straight to the lobby bar to get a drink.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
302 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gr solaris, recent negative reviews

I was there last summer and also heard negative stories about time share people. We simply told the lady when we first got there that we were not interested and that was it. These people who get trapped for hours talking about timeshares must lead them on in someway. Tell them you are not interested and then walk straight to the lobby bar to get a drink.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
113 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gr solaris, recent negative reviews

maybe that is my confusion... I cant see getting trapped by the time sales people when that drink by the pool or in the pool is my #1 priority the minute I walk into the resort!!!

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,789 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gr solaris, recent negative reviews

Just a couple tips for the GR Solaris, after check in you'll typically be assigned a resort rep that can be quite helpful but do know that there's a timeshare "invitation" pitch somewhere along the way, politely decline the need for a resort rep and/or listen to the rep explain the resort and when it moves to the timeshare invite, politely decline, and that's usually the end of it.

The Solaris Resorts aren't typically known for the "hard sell" unless of course the guests agreed to reduced prices when booking and also agreed to the timeshare pitch due to the price reduction. This happens quite often, discounted booking where it plainly states a meeting of some type for Club Solaris or a Vacation Club, and the guests suddenly forget that they agreed when booking to give up 1.5-2 hours of their time for the presentation, than said guests get PO'd.

The towel card gig is from the folks at AquaWorld and isn't anything other than a guy or gal fetching the towels and asking if you are interested in any tours. No hard sell, no major pitch and no big deal and the brochures on the counter can give newbies an idea of things to do if interested. Most of the time I shoot the breeze w/ them waiting on the lady in my life about anything from sports to where they're from originally.

In Cancun...hardly anyone is originally from Cancun, and most locals enjoy talking about their hometowns, and yours. ;-)

Edited: 15 March 2011, 21:38
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
113 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gr solaris, recent negative reviews

thats great to hear... I will definitely stick with my " thanks but no thanks, already know all I what I to know about the resort... where's my room key so I can hit the pool???"...

also good to hear about the towel guys/girls... have no interest in any tours, this isn't my first rodeo (lol), but my fiance is a people person so can see him definitely doing the same while waiting on me, as long as he doesnt feel a "hard sale" coming on!

Whiteville, North...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: gr solaris, recent negative reviews

Hi buckeyefan_01. How did you like the GR Solaris? I've been looking at all-inclusines for a trip in November. Should I book it or run????

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
113 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gr solaris, recent negative reviews

I loved the GR Solaris, so if you find the right price for your budget, definitely book it... I find the negative reviews almost comical, as every resort has its good and bad points, just matters on whats important to each individual...

I dont form a loyalty to a specific resort because I am budget driven, would rather find 2 great trips to take a year versus 1 because I think that is the only resort I will enjoy. going to Cancun for my 6th trip this October and have NEVER had a bad experience (just wish I had kept a travel journal from the earlier trips as I am not too clear which of the Oasis resorts I stayed at before my trip to Temptations in March 2009 and GR Solaris April 2).

If you have specific questions besides what I put in my own trip report, please feel free to ask.... it was posted sometime in April :)

8. Re: gr solaris, recent negative reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 02:17