We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling USA

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ANNA ILLINOIS
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Calling USA

My wife and I will be in Cancun next week and we are leaving our daughter with her grandparents. Just wondering what was the best way to call back to the USA from Cancun to check in with them.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling USA

you're cell provider most likely has a plan that softens the blow. i have AT&T. they have a plan for $6 a month & it's 50 cents a minute. you can just cancell it when you get back. VIVA MEXICO!!!!!!

ANNA ILLINOIS
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling USA

We have alltel and I was told they do not have coverage in Mexico. So I would be paying high rates.....

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling USA

Same here, I have AT&T. We text and call while were down there too. We used to buy the phone cards and use the public phones but its a pain in the @$$. What hotel you staying at? We will be at the Fiesta Americana Condesa Monday for a week.

ANNA ILLINOIS
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling USA

We are staying at Park Royal Cancun. We arrive this Sunday.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling USA

You can get the calling cards at the hotel gift shop an use the public phone. Have a great trip!!!

Level Contributor
501 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling USA

Telmex card then walk right out of the hotel and look around and you will see a payphone that says Telmex. CHEAP...then just leave your hotel info IN CASE of emergency if you need to.

You can search online and buy Telmex card....

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calling USA

Have been here in Mexico for the past two weeks. We've been using Skype to Skype to call home, and it's working just fine. The audio sounds like theyre in the room next to us. It's awfully difficult to beat free phone calls. Next year when we have the gen 2 iPad, we'll be doing free video Skype calls back home.

Level Contributor
119 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calling USA

I have Verizon and added + Mexico to my plan for the week of our vacation.I have 4 phones on the plan and they are all covered.The cost was $15 a month and is prorated for the amount of time you use it.So 1 week costs you about $3.75 plus tax.Calls are then free as long as you are under your contract minuets.Texting is $0.50 outbound and $0.05 inbound.Better to just call.

Houston
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Calling USA

Use Google to call USA

10. Re: Calling USA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 05:17