We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great News - Southwest buying airtran!

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Topic
Great News - Southwest buying airtran!

Southwest is buying airtran, announced today. This isgreat news because it now gives southwest international routes and routes to Cancun.

kennesaw Ga
Level Contributor
198 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great News - Southwest buying airtran!

Maybe good news for some but lousy news for Airtran fans.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,454 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great News - Southwest buying airtran!

The people I used to work with at the airlines are speculating if Southwest will continue to operate all or most of the internaional routes. They could have had them long ago but never did it. Another plus is that Airtrans fleet of Boeings will meld well with Southwests all Boeing fleet.

Kansas City, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great News - Southwest buying airtran!

This is GREAT news!

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
583 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great News - Southwest buying airtran!

I hope it's great news. I am one of those Airtran fans...always flying free to Cancun with Airtran and looking forward to their new destination of Punta Cana!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great News - Southwest buying airtran!

Maybe Texans will finally get a break on airfare since Southwest is based in Dallas. I think it's a great company with competitive pricing.

Va
Level Contributor
10,686 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great News - Southwest buying airtran!

Not so great news if you are looking for good deals. If they merge, that will be less low cost competition.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
256 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great News - Southwest buying airtran!

@ gottavaca....do you mind sharing your secret/tips on how you fly for free?

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Great News - Southwest buying airtran!

sungod, how is there less compeition when it comes to Cancun? SW does not fly international and buying airtran gives them international routes and expec tSW to add more thus making it more competition not less to CUN anyway. Domestically you may be correct but this is the cancun forum

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,454 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great News - Southwest buying airtran!

From what I have read, the SW CEO has made no comment as to whether they intend to continue all the international routes.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Great News - Southwest buying airtran!

On the Dallas news tonight, they stated that Southwest will concentrate on Hawaii and Canada for the next several years. The purchase of AirTran has also opened up Caribbean routes and routes to southeastern hubs that Southwest was missing.

Due to the Wright Amendment, imposed by airlines fighting Southwest's routes from Dallas (rather than Ft. Worth), we won't see savings until 2014, according to the news reports. What a bummer!