We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Officials to attempt to level the Beach "ledge"/slope

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,803 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Local Officials to attempt to level the Beach "ledge"/slope

In a report from the local press (Diario de Quintana Roo) this past weekend, local State authorities have agreed to begin within a few days a process of leveling down the slope or ledge that is occurring along the surf edge of the Cancun beaches inhibiting some beach users from accessing the surf area. The work is scheduled to start in the area of the south side of Punta Cancun and will not visit the entire 12 KM stretch of southern beaches but only those areas designated by the State agency as having specific issues.

Ventura, California
Level Contributor
357 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local Officials to attempt to level the Beach "ledge"/slope

I just returned from a couple weeks in Cancun. While out turtle watching about 10:30 pm one nite , a large tractor was pushing sand around. It did appear to be evening out the ledge. It was kinda a drag b/c at least 3 turtles turned around and went back into the water when the noisy lite up thing drove past . I 'm not sure if this was a state endeavor or hotel contact ?!

It would be nice if they would do it early morning and not disturb the Turtles.

Yes ?

Houston,TX
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Local Officials to attempt to level the Beach "ledge"/slope

We are leaving for Cancun on Sat. and I hope we see some turtles at night.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
998 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local Officials to attempt to level the Beach "ledge"/slope

Maybe they should just wait until the hurricane season is over? I think the man made ledge will protect the man made beach.

Maybe they could just build some temporary stairs in the meantime?

Here on the northcoast of California Hotels are not allowed to build and many of the beaches require a hike down to the beach.

The whole Hotel Zone in Cancun was built on a sand bar / aka island a mere 20 years ago.

You can't argue with Mother Nature.

4. Re: Local Officials to attempt to level the Beach "ledge"/slope

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2011, 08:27