We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mercado 23 review..?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mercado 23 review..?

I was looking at things to do, and I was reading someones review on mercado 23, and I couldn't help but wonder, if this person is actually being honest..do you actually believe it? Here is the post I seen it on..

“VERY DANGEROUS”

Mercado 23

Avocatraveler 5 contributions

Alexandria, VA

May 11, 2010

Stay the hell out of Market 23. We saw a dead body lying in a doorway to a home there and it was clear everyone was ignoring the issue. Terrible. We grabbed the first cab back to the hotel. I have traveled the world with the Navy and love to venture out into the local community. Cancun continues to become more risky. Hotel Zone is ok at best but not worth risking your life for junk souvuners that you will throw away as soon as you get home. Stay in hotel/beach and go home alive

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mercado 23 review..?

doubtful......

Mexico
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mercado 23 review..?

WOW. I guess the person has never seen a drunk passed out before, if this is even close to being true.

I was just there last week with the GF, mother and sister. Not once did I feel at any risk for myself or more so them and we all enjoyed our time there. Like anywhere else, just pay attention to your surroundings, don't be flashy with money or jewelry and you should be fine.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mercado 23 review..?

Market 23, IMO, is more a market for foodstuffs than the crafts, souvenirs and junk that are found at Market 28. There are some of those types of stores at '23' but nothing like at '28'.

I go to Market 23 by myself as one of the 'stuff'' stores is my favorite for finding Mexican decorations for our Casa. This place is fairly large and is located on the most easterly side of the Market closest to Av Tulum. I found a 4 X 8 tile mural there and was able to get it for about 80 USD or better than half of what a similar one was going for online.

As far as a dead body, more likely than not it was someone sleeping off a bad 'borracho' and nothing that couldn't or wouldn't be seen in any large City. I worked in Boston's Financial District and it was an every morning occurrence to see at least one drunk sleeping it off in a doorway. Or, what one might see in the morning in the HZ during Spring Break except they're on the side of the Blvd sprawled in the grass!

Colorado
Level Contributor
987 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mercado 23 review..?

I ditto cancunmole......

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mercado 23 review..?

CancunMole is right on the money. The first prerequisite to posting should be have your information straight, or please don't bother.

6. Re: Mercado 23 review..?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2010, 07:17