We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun or Playa Del Carmen for 25th anniversary

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Cancun or Playa Del Carmen for 25th anniversary

My husband and I are going to Mexico Nov. 2-7 and have reservations at Riu Palace Las Americas in Cancun. We have had many people tell us that we should be staying in Playa Del Carmen instead. They say that it is more of a tropical setting in Playa than Cancun.

We are looking to relax on the beach and maybe do some walking around in town. We would also like to view some ruins while in Mexico.

Should we keep our reservations in Cancun and just take the bus to Playa or should we switch to a hotel there? The hotels available in Playa for our switch would be: The Reef Playacar, Viva Windham, Allegra Playacar, Hacienda Resort, Riu Lapita

PLEASE ADVISE!!!!!

Ohio
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun or Playa Del Carmen for 25th anniversary

If you want to see ruins and walk around in town, then Playa is better than Cancun.

Cancun is very nice but there is no real town to walk around. You may walk in the shopping zone where you will find the Hard Rock Caf�� and the like restaurants.

Playa has more flavor and it has a loooong pedestrian street where you will find crafts, bars, restaurants, etc.

There are two ruins relatively close to Playa (Tulum and Cob��) but none to Cancun.

Most hotles in Playa are far from the town. Therefore in most cases you need to take the hotel shuttle.

In summary, I would recommend Playa.

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun or Playa Del Carmen for 25th anniversary

Hello cspender,

Cancun is very busy, if your looking for a more relaxing, tropical atmosphere I would go to Playa.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun or Playa Del Carmen for 25th anniversary

Hello....just a thought....you can travel to the ruins from Riu Palace and also do some walking, but it is along a busy street. However, the hotels you say that are available to you if you decide to switch, are not nearly in the same class as Las Americas (imho). Depends what is more important to you.