We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anual Beach Cleanup!

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
8 reviews
Anual Beach Cleanup!

Today in Cancun we are particapating in the campaigne for keeping our Beaches clean. All of the schools have been assigned a Public Beach to help Clean. The kids will recieve gloves, bags and a list to write what type of garbage is collected . I will post on the turnout and experience later.

Broken Bow, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
1. Re: Anual Beach Cleanup!

Send me a ticket and I will come down and help for a few days.

San Diego Calif
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Anual Beach Cleanup!

Cunspin,

wish I was there with you, I would like to see a major effort to clean and keep the Beautiful beaches there clean

When we were the in Aug, it was so sad to see how no one cared about keeping the beaches clean.

What I saw to to side of the hotel was those guys with the water toys filling them up with the gas and oil mixture, the bottles of oil was thrown to the sand, and where they kept the Gas there was fuel and oils spilled all over the sand, made us sick!!!

We picked up plastic bottles going back to the hotel after walking a 1/2 mile in each direction. there dozens & dozens of empty bottles

DT

Wiltshire, U.K.
Level Contributor
3,769 posts
1 review
3. Re: Anual Beach Cleanup!

Who in their right mind visits paradise and dumps their rubbish there?

Some people are unbelievable.

Well done Cunspin and Dontony.

It shouldn't need doing, but sadly it does.

so good for you.

mexico
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
4. Re: Anual Beach Cleanup!

You got to start somewhere and it's people like you who do 1 small thing to help that makes a big difference. I wish they would do more to people for littering not only on the beach but on the streets of Cancun. You should see the streets Spring Break, it's an absolute mess.

San Diego Calif
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: Anual Beach Cleanup!

You right Lisa,

I was looking at a site where spring breakers post there photos, It was a shame to see them "Blowing chunks" all over the streets, clubs, in the hall ways in the hotels, cigarettes butts all over the place, trash and a complete disregard to any sane behavior in terms of respect for such a beautifully place,

The only good thing that comes of it is the "Big Dollars they spend" or do they????

DT

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
6,636 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Anual Beach Cleanup!

Hey DT,

Well I know that they spend big bucks to go during spring break (or their parents do :-)) because we paid for our daughter to go last year with her roommates. It was her senior year in college. The price for the vacation package was around $1400 for a week for one person at the Oasis Cancun, a dump, but where everyone wants to be for spring break (MTV there). Anyways, they went out every single night to a different club, so like $35 a night for the clubs, plus taxi rides each way. So they are definitely spending some change there.

San Diego Calif
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
19 reviews
7. Re: Anual Beach Cleanup!

twointhelou

That's my point exactly. there is a price to pay for everyone.

DT

Cancun
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
8. Re: Anual Beach Cleanup!

As much as the spring breakers spend on their flight and hotel, most of them do not spend much while they are here. It's a constant complaint that they seek out the freebies (and there are lots of them) and never tip. They are also famous for walking out on their bills without paying, so many waiters and waitresses I know enforce the pay as you go policy. They are certainly not spending money on food, most of them eat at McDonald's or Subway or not at all cause "kills the buzz dude". So yes, they pay to get here but play for free once they've found out that Corona or Dos Equis is giving it away. Please note that this is certainly not all spring breakers, but it is a whole lot of them.

San Diego Calif
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
19 reviews
9. Re: Anual Beach Cleanup!

CancunCanuck

Wow, Walking out, I hate that.

DT

Cancun
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
10. Re: Anual Beach Cleanup!

It's the worst as the waiters are stuck with the bill! We go to The City beach club almost every weekend and have for the past year and a half. We always have the same waitress, our lovely Magda who treats us like family. We went during Spring Break and she came to us in tears as she had been shorted, walked out on, not tipped and insulted by the Spring Breakers. I was furious! She was hustling and working hard and made less money than on a "normal", non-Spring Break day.