We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursion to Isla Mujeres?

Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
395 posts
Excursion to Isla Mujeres?

In the Westin Langunamar. Are there any excursions to Isla Mujeres you'd recommend for 2 adults and 3 kids? We just want to see other beaches with lunch spots/bars and good safe swimming and snorkeling off the beach (not off a boat). Thanks!

10 replies to this topic
Southern California
Level Contributor
15,572 posts
1 review
1. Re: Excursion to Isla Mujeres?

You don't need an excursion (lot of them I have seen tend to be booze cruises), just take the Ultramar ferry over, either from Playa Tortuga in the Hotel Zone or from Puerto Juarez (further from your hotel but more frequent service).

Snorkeling is decent at Garrafon de Castillo and near the bridge at Mia Reef close to the end of Playa Norte. Plenty of places to eat, maybe try one of the seafood places along Medina (street where the ferry docks) with toes in the sand.

Level Contributor
140 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Excursion to Isla Mujeres?

I totally agree with 55. Especially since you're going with children, it's much nicer to go and explore the island at your own pace. Plus it's super easy to take the ferry.

I would recommend going early and making a day of it. You could rent a golf cart and head down to Garaffon to snorkel, make a stop for lunch, then head back to the north end of the island to swim on one of the beaches before heading back to the mainland.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
20 posts
3. Re: Excursion to Isla Mujeres?

I agree with previous poster. The tour we took was a boozy event and I wouldn’t have wanted my kids there. We had a great time but I would recommend it for kids.

Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
395 posts
4. Re: Excursion to Isla Mujeres?

where do you rent a golf cart? Is that something we can access easily from the ferry dock when we get there?

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
362 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Excursion to Isla Mujeres?

Lots of places to rent from straight across the road from the ferry dock,you can get slightly larger ones with forward facing rear seats for 3 kids.You will need your drivers license.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
24 posts
6. Re: Excursion to Isla Mujeres?

If you are staying at the Westin Lagunamar the closes ferry over to Isla Mujeres is near Coral beach but there are more frequent departures from Playa Tortugas. Puerto Juarez is a bit cheaper but further from the hotel district. Once you are at Isla Mujeres there are a lot of places to rent golf carts. 2 hours so be good and from the same dock you arrive at you can ask rates for snorkeling. As for excursions you can find family themed catamarans, double decker boats that also have family atmosphere and boat that take you to swim with dolphins at Isla Mujeres. Isla Mujeres is not very big but fun to explore.

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,935 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Excursion to Isla Mujeres?

As others have noted, take the ferry over to Isla from the Hotel Zone, I'd suggest possibly picking up a map if your first timers from MapChick http://www.mapchick.com/isla-mujeres-map/ prior to the visit.

Rent a golf cart, there will be plenty available if you arrive early, most folks will spend from $40-$55 US for the day depending on season and type of cart.

Once fully mobilized or on foot for that matter from the ferry dock, go left on Medina Avenue, pass through the road at the Privilege Aluxes Hotel and you'll find yourself at Playa Norte, a beautiful expanse of beach with many beach clubs. Along the way you'll pass Jax on the corner, another popular casual sports bar type spot and the Privilege Beach Club if interested.

Looking for shopping, fun and reasonable foods, take a walk down Hildago Avenue near Playa Norte and enjoy.

Or, hop in the golf cart and drive the island perimeter, there' various snorkeling and dive shops with options, or find the South end beach club just before the Eco Park El Garrafon and check out the beach snorkeling options and day costs. ;-)

Atlanta
Level Contributor
49 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: Excursion to Isla Mujeres?

I don't want to create another thread. Can I simply walk-in at Playa Caracol and purchase ferry tickets to Isla Mujeres using Pesos or Credit Card?

How much typically for golf cart rental for 4-seater for full day?

Thanks.

Edited: 13 November 2018, 22:31
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
46,125 posts
9. Re: Excursion to Isla Mujeres?

Cost - read post #7.

Tickets can be purchased in pesos or US$

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
362 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Excursion to Isla Mujeres?

Yes you can just walk in and purchase tickets at Playa Caracol,they will ask if you want to purchase tickets for the golf cart on the ferry but it cheaper when you get there. When you return because the ferry times are fairly limited you can change your ticket to Turtugas and then catch the bus back.

Reply to: Excursion to Isla Mujeres?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted