We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Handmade leather purse

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Handmade leather purse

I would like to get a handmade leather purse (directly from craftsman) in the Cancun area. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, are there any areas where we can watch and purchase other handmade items in Cancun? Thank you

10 replies to this topic
Montreal
Level Contributor
185 posts
90 reviews
1. Re: Handmade leather purse

There is a great little shop/booth in the airport that sells leather purses, wallets, etc that are hand crafted by inmates in the Mexican prison system and if I remember correctly, the money goes to their families. The work is incredible and very well made.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Handmade leather purse

Do you know the price range. I would love to purchase from the inmates but don't have a large budget. Thank you

Montreal
Level Contributor
185 posts
90 reviews
3. Re: Handmade leather purse

I don't remember the exact prices - although they weren't on the cheap side. I can take a look when I go and answer you later

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Handmade leather purse

I am bumping this because I would like to know if anyone else has suggestions. Thank you

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Handmade leather purse

I'm am not trying to be rude but, finding any hand made leather items in Cancun on the cheap or for a fair price. It's just not going to happen since Cancun is price fixed to expensive for almost anything.

. You will need to venture off the beaten path in other parts of the Yucatan to find any handmade leather items for a fair price.

Edited: 06 March 2018, 21:31
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
407 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Handmade leather purse

in the market downtown they have nice

Mexican leathers. You can bargain

Limbo
Level Contributor
2,969 posts
7. Re: Handmade leather purse

Not too many craftspeople in Cancun, but Valladolid is known for its leather goods. Prices will be favorable too. I've never seen them making handbags by hand, but there are plenty of little shops where you can watch them make leather sandals. Some quite ornate.

There is another village known for sandals but I am spacing the name of it right now. Not sure if the goods sold at the airport shop are from the Yucatan state jail in Ebtun, but if there are also hammocks there, that is likely where they are from. Ebtun is between Valladolid and Piste which is the closest village to Chichen Itza and they sell their goods at the entrance.

Morelia, Mexico
2 posts
1 review
8. Re: Handmade leather purse

Guadalajara and Leon is known for handmade leather bags. I purchased two purses in Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta. The best I have seen of tooled leather handbags is MexicanPurses.com

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
297 posts
38 reviews
9. Re: Handmade leather purse

The shop in the Cancun airport in terminal 4 is called Prison Art. The workmanship was high quality. I saw purses from $28 to $480. Google it.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: Handmade leather purse

You best bet is Mercado 28 downtown, great place and best prices. Do not be afraid to bring the price down. Trust me go there.

PS: Great restaurants in the middle of all the shops. The one with seafood and xylophone is the best.

Reply to: Handmade leather purse
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted