We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campeche Playa

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Campeche Playa

Happy New Year everyone.

None of this looks very good for all of us investors.

Turtle, I took your advice about offering to sell my apartment back to Grupo Mall for the original purchase price on the basis that they stood to make a substantial profit, if Senor Noval was to be believed in his recent article where he claimed that during November / December 08 they'd sold another 30 units at the inflated price. They did get back to me a few weeks ago and said they'd respond shortly but I haven't heard anything from them since and certainly won't hold my breath.

I am just wondering what all this recent information about the pending legal action means for all of us that have invested money in the project. I took advice from my solicitor about pulling out now and was advised that although the contract states that 50% of deposits should be returned, there is no timescale for the return of the deposits. When I asked about launching an action for breach of contract after the expiration of the grace period, my solicitor felt that a further few months would have to pass - if not longer before any such action would have a chance of success. I personally feel pretty stymied and am wondering if anyone else has had similar or different advice?

campeche
6 posts
Save Reply
41. Re: Campeche Playa

Como les comente ayer, estos problemas con los trabajadores son muy comunes en este país, y ...

problema resuelto.

Se soluciona conflicto entre constructora ICA y obreros

Desde Champotón, Campeche, marzo 12 (COMUNICA).- La Confederación de Trabajadores de México (CTM) desarticuló un conflicto entre obreros y la constructora Ingenieros Civiles Asociados (ICA) en el proyecto Playa Campeche en Champotón, logrando la firma del contrato colectivo de trabajo para más de 400 trabajadores, el pago inmediato de un adeudo de 300 mil pesos y la recontratación de 22 personas.

El secretario general del sector obrero del Partido Revolucionario Institucional (PRI) en la entidad, Francisco Haas Palomo, detalló que en días pasados, las obras del complejo hotelero ubicado en las playas champotoneras, se suspendieron por un problema entre los trabajadores sindicalizados y la empresa ICA.

Los obreros pidieron la intervención de la CTM en la capital campechana, quienes negociación la situación a su favor, consiguiendo una serie de puntos que anteriormente prácticamente no tenían.

“Aproximadamente son sindicalizados como 250 y de confianza son 150, un promedio de 400 gentes pero cuando se interviene en un contrato colectivo se ven beneficiados todos en general, lo que realmente fue lo que generó esto fue la falta de pago de parte de las personas responsables de ICA, que aparentemente no les habían pagado, entonces antier a las 5 de la tarde se les cubrió todo, ayer arrancaron labores y hoy se firmó la contratación colectiva”, comentó Haas Palomo.

Así, la CTM logró el pago de 300 mil pesos, que estaban en adeudo y que al parecer ICA argumentó que no habían recibido la partida correspondiente de sus oficinas centrales.

Haas Palomo afirmó que con esta firma de contrato colectivo, no solo se benefician los obreros sindicalizados sino los trabajadores de confianza.

comunicacampeche.com/Php/noticiacomlocal.php…

UK
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
42. Re: Campeche Playa

Thanks lalo74, good to hear everything is now sorted out.

Essex England
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
43. Re: Campeche Playa

Turtle

While my spanish is OK to get the gist of these statements I wouldnt mind an accurate translation.If youve a mind! The translation from standard methods reads somewhat gobblydegook.

I have received a rental agreement document which I am requested to sign but I have had it appraised and from that perspective it doesnt appear to mean very much.Has any one else had their legal eagles look at it.

UK
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
44. Re: Campeche Playa

So we received information today that the golf course will not be ready until summer of 2010.

The dredging works in the area of the beach and in the entrance canal can not be completed until November 09.

The marina will be fininshed by summer but their will be no shops until the end of 09 at least, when ther should be a mini-market, restaurant and a drugstore with others to follow in 2010.

The golf and yatch memberships will not start until they are ready.

So all in all the place will not really be habitable on hand over of the first building in summer 2009 and they are doing so early in order to limit the cancelling of contracts (and return of deposits) when they will become in breech of contract.

Therefore I will not complete on the building unless the guarantee is 100% going ahead from day 1 of handover as it will not really be rentable Summer 09 if it is handed over then.

Scotland
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Campeche Playa

At long last, some correspondence from GM. Not overly impressed by the content, in fact all it does is confirms the conclusions that most of us arrived at months ago.

The most obvious being that 'Phase 1' will be very much a stage by stage handover and that GM are claiming 'force majeure' for the delays. I may not be a legal eagle but surely for 'force majuere' to be invoked not only do the causes of delay have to be beyond the control of the developer but more importantly they have to have been entirely unforseen. The route of the road as far as I am aware has remained largely unchanged since day one. So that begs the question, how much planning did they put into this road crossing, what they must have known then to be, an area of 'extraordinary ecological value'.

In my opinion the fault for this delay lies squarely with GM, either they were are not rigorous enough at the planning stage in exploring the possible difficulties associated with the road's construction or they were just plain incompetent.

Another final disappointment with the correspondence is no mention of the hotel. Does anyone know what is happening on that front?

Out of interest Turtle have you explored the options regarding holding back on acceptance of your appartment if you deem GM are in breach of contract?

Wetherby
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
46. Re: Campeche Playa

You're quite right Itchy.The first mention of force majeure....and the first mention by the developer of a problem! What a coincidence. If the Mexican Courts have anything about them they will see through the rubbish but I wouldnt like to bet on it.We're not talking about the English Legal System here!. I think if it comes to it we'll all have to stick together!

indiancamp
Level Contributor
40 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Campeche Playa

Negotiating a path out of this situation is going to be difficult. I think most of us realise that the best we can hope for out of this mess is to get all of the money we have paid in so far paid back. Unless the money we paid is sitting in an ESCROW account, the chances of this happening seems remote. Even if we can negotiate past the Mexican courts, does the developer actually have money to pay back our deposits? I think we should investigate whether a class action or individual actions are the best way forward. If anyone has any legal knowledge their contyribution would be very helpful.

UK
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
48. Re: Campeche Playa

This may be a silly question but can I ask exactly why you want to get your money back?

Is it because you are worried the rental guarantee will not be paid on handover and a mortgage might not be possible or because of the global recession meaning that capital gains and resale possibility have been delayed?

indiancamp
Level Contributor
40 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Campeche Playa

Banks around the world are going from one extreme to the other. Getting a mortgage for a principal residence is hard enough, never mind a mortgage on a holiday home. What value is a rental guarantee from a company that invokes force majeure for quite predictable situations? Even if the rental guarantee is enforcable, where is the company going to find money to repay? I fear I have made an expensive mistake and lost my deposit, unless one of two things happen - Deposit money is sitting in ESCROW and the courts find in my favour OR Mexican government steps in to bail out the project for strategic developmental reasons.

Leeds
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Campeche Playa

One reason to want your money back is that it is difficult to trust anything being said or done by this company.

When all was well we got a newsletter on a monthly basis, then problems and delays and silence. GM have been conpicuous by there lack of communication and even when things have been said they have turned out yo bee innaccurate.

I have got more information from this forum that I have from the company that I have given thousands of dollars to.

There is no feeling of security for the money spent, so why spend more?

I am seriously beginning to wonder whether the best option is to take a 50% loss on what I've paid out so far.