We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any advice or input would be welcomed!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
17 posts
23 reviews
Any advice or input would be welcomed!

We are planning a trip for late January- I am a planner, so I am working well in advance! Here is what I have so far.

1. Arrive at 11:15am, rent a car, drive to Tulum, spend night in Tulum (booked at Diamante K, ocean view)

2. Visit Tulum and Muyil ruins, spend night in Tulum

3. Drive from Tulum to Chichen Itza, stopping at for a few hours at Coba, Spend night at CI (one of the Mayaland properties?)

4. All day Chichen Itza ruins, maybe visit nearby cenote. Spend night in CI

5. Drive to Uxmal, see Labna, Kabah and Sayil, etc. Spend night in Uxmal (again, the Mayaland property?)

6. All day at Uxmal ruins. Spend night in Uxmal [or should we head up to Merida that night?]

7. Drive to Merida- spend the day exploring the city, spend night in Merida

8. Drive to Valladolid, visit Ek Balam, other sights/cenotes? Spend Nigh in Vallodolid (booked at El Mason Del Marques)

9. Hang out in Vallodolid, then drive directly to Cancun airport for a 5:30pm flight.

So- questions:

• First off, I assume that renting a car is a must for our route? But please let me know if you think otherwise.

• Two nights in Uxmal, or more time in Merdia?

• I had originally tried to fit Mayapan in- would you sacrifice time in Merida to go to Mayapan? Or squeeze it in elsewhere?

• Is there better use of our morning on the last day than hanging out in Vallodolid?

• Is the itinerary, in general, fairly reasonable?

• I’ve booked in Tulum, because those rooms seem to go quickly. And I booked the last night just to nail it down. Thoughts on best place to stay in Chichen Itza, Uxmal, Merida? Do I need to book them months in advance?

Thanks in advance for your insight!!!

Edited: 19 August 2015, 20:41
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
17 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Any advice or input would be welcomed!

*Valladolid* (I realize I spelled it incorrectly a few times)

Southern California
Level Contributor
15,331 posts
1 review
2. Re: Any advice or input would be welcomed!

I have visited most of those places except Merida. One night in Uxmal was plenty, we got there when it opened at 8am and visited there, and also visited Sayil and Kabah. We stayed at Hacienda Uxmal which is very nice except their restaurant, it is buffet only with limited selection, we ate dinner at the sister resort, Lodge at Uxmal which had very good food.

In Chichen Itza we stayed at Hacienda Chichen which is very nice with beautiful grounds, large pool and good food, usually they have a trio of musicians that plays outside on the steps to the dinner patio. This hotel was built to house the Carnegie Expedition in the 1920s.

3. Re: Any advice or input would be welcomed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2016, 06:16