We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Mexico City

Arizona
Level Contributor
278 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in Mexico City

We're (couple in early 40's) looking to spend a long weekend in Mexico City in late September. I've never been to Mexico before (despite living in Arizona for 8 years). We have lots of Marriott points to spend if there is a Marriott in a good location. We're interested in good food, walking around interesting and historic neighborhoods, and possibly good parks (I'm really into birding). I've read a bunch of forum threads but can't figure out which neighborhood is best (I've been looking at Polanco and Roma, but definitely not set on either). We wouldn't have a car and plan to use Uber.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Polanco
Polanco
1,017 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
7 replies to this topic
BC
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in Mexico City

There is no best overall, but there may be a best for your desires. If you have read about the neighbourhoods, you have to make a decision.

I like the centro because I like to get around on the metro and walk places. But if you like parks and very leafy streets (I found it too leafy) Condesa would suit you. I have stayed for a week in Roma, and that is nice as I like walking at night and there are lots of people about. There is good food everywhere!

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
7,692 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in Mexico City

If you tell us where the Marriotts are, we might be able to advise further.

Arizona
Level Contributor
278 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in Mexico City

The two Marriotts I was looking at were in Reforma and Polanco.

Mentioned in this post
Polanco
Polanco
1,017 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,447 posts
514 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in Mexico City

For parks, the JW Marriott in Polanco that you are looking at is right across the street from Chapultepec Park, the largest park in the city. We have a surprisingly large number of hummingbirds in the city (and there are a lot of bats in the park). I used to live in Condesa and had a feeder and would see dozens come on a sunny morning. The Marriott Reforma is also nice. Both are convenient for sights and nice hotels. Polanco has more restaurants and the Reforma hotel is a few block walk to the Roma. Either are easy in Uber.

Mentioned in this post
Polanco
Polanco
1,017 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Chapultepec Park
Chapultepec Park
1,599 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel
Mexico City Marriott...
1,507 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,121 posts
750 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in Mexico City

Both Marriott hotels are in good locations though with the traffic it can at certain times of day take a while to get to the historic center.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29,440 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel in Mexico City

I stay in a lot of Marriotts (75-100 nights a year), The JW Polanco is one of the nicer Marriotts that Ive stayed in anywhere, and the location is fantastic.

Mentioned in this post
Polanco
Polanco
1,017 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Arizona
Level Contributor
278 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel in Mexico City

Thanks for all the info! It sounds like the JW Marriott in Polanco is where we'll stay. I also love hummingbirds so good to hear they are still around despite the large urban area.

Mentioned in this post
Polanco
Polanco
1,017 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Reply to: Hotel in Mexico City
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted