We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Places/Days for Antique/Craft Shopping? Retablos?

Brooklyn, New York
14 posts
Best Places/Days for Antique/Craft Shopping? Retablos?

My husband and I will be in CDMX for 10 days next week. He is traveling on business so we will have most of our free time on weekends. We both LOVE flea markets, antiques and craft shopping. But I have been feeling overwhelmed by all the markets, which ones are safer on the weekends, or on different days etc - I've been finding in my research!

What are the best places to shop for things like that?

Also my Husband is really interested in Retablos (we love folk art), is there a particular place that is known for them either to view or purchase?

Thanks so much!!

Taller Tlamaxcalli
Gift & Speciality Shops
Mercado de San Juan
Flea & Street Markets
Dulce Almacen
Gift & Speciality Shops
4 replies to this topic
Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
542 reviews
1. Re: Best Places/Days for Antique/Craft Shopping? Retablos?

The Bazar Plaza del Angel (red building with underground parking lot at main entrance at Londres 161) in the Zona Rosa is a traditional spot and on weekends people will also spread out in the hallways and entry with their items for sale. Some of it is junk, some collectible and the shops can have truly amazing things. It is directly in front of the Artesanias Mercado Insurgentes in the Zona Rosa which has the usual stuff plus some good silver and some nice items from Oaxaca (though more interesting and more costly is the gift shop in Museo de Arte Popular (right behind the Hilton Alameda).

Also visit Mercado de Anguedades de la Lagunilla on Sunday which is in less touristy (but safe in daytime and it will be crowded) neighborhood - on Reforma right at Metro stop Lagunilla.

Some on this site like the government run Fonart shops. Also many museum gift shops have unique things for sale.

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
542 reviews
2. Re: Best Places/Days for Antique/Craft Shopping? Retablos?

PS - I bought a retablo at the Zona Rosa antique market years ago - there are guys who sell them and have boxes of them - I do not collect them but one caught my eye.

Mexico City...
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Best Places/Days for Antique/Craft Shopping? Retablos?

On Satuday you can go to Bazar del Sábado in San Angel. It's a beautiful neighborhood so it worth visitng. Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo studio is there.

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
8,532 posts
130 reviews
4. Re: Best Places/Days for Antique/Craft Shopping? Retablos?

As above, especially Lagunilla, which is less touristy than San Angel. For top quality folk crafts, the Museo de Arte Popular.

Reply to: Best Places/Days for Antique/Craft Shopping? Retablos?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted