We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does $$$$ in Mexico City mean the same thing

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Does $$$$ in Mexico City mean the same thing

as it would in the SF Bay Area (where we live) or Scandinavia (the last place we visited)? I am planning out our next trip and would love to try one or two fine dining restaurants. I am also trying to figure out what we should expect to spend at these establishments.

For example, we had dinner at Amass in Copenhagen and the bill came out to about $400 for a six course meal (including drinks) for two people, which fit into our budget taking our hotel into consideration. That was the only fine dining we did after that! Would a similar restaurant in Mexico City cost about the same?

8 replies to this topic
Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
522 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does $$$$ in Mexico City mean the same thing

$ is the symbol used locally for pesos or Moneda Nacional. $400 is a bit more than USD 20.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does $$$$ in Mexico City mean the same thing

Regarding prices, Copenhagen is incredibly expensive (I was there a few weeks ago) compared to Mexico or the United States. A bottle of coke in Copenhagen is like $5 US, in Mexico, it's about 65 cents US. I don't eat in expensive restaurants so I can't comment on those prices, but they surely won't be close to Scandinavian prices, and likely much less than USA prices.

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
7,984 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does $$$$ in Mexico City mean the same thing

My UK card was charged £114 for lunch at Pujol last December (included wine). I thought that pretty expensive and comparable to what I paid for Michelin-starred restaurants last year in Italy!

Normally, I would reckon on paying about $500-600MXN for a meal in a decent place.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does $$$$ in Mexico City mean the same thing

Thank you for your replies! I should have clarified that I meant $400 USD. @Londinese, £115 for a fancy restaurant seems reasonable. Was this for two people plus wine?

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
7,984 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does $$$$ in Mexico City mean the same thing

No that was per person! It was the wine that pushed up the price, as happens in so many fancy places. We had a half bottle of rosé between us and a glass of red each, which was as expensive as the half bottle. My recollection is not that clear, but I think the set menu was $1,200MXN.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does $$$$ in Mexico City mean the same thing

In the past two years we have had dinner for two with drinks at Pujol, Quintonil, Biko, Rosetta, and Maximo Bistrot, and not one came close to $400. I think Pujol was in the high $200s.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
115 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does $$$$ in Mexico City mean the same thing

We spent $182 for dinner at Pujol with an artisan cocktail and two moderate bottles of wine including the tip. Very reasonable and cheaper than most cities. For most nice meals in quality neighborhood restaurants we spent $400-600 MXN

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does $$$$ in Mexico City mean the same thing

Thanks again for the feedback. Wow, those places do seem reasonable compared to the restaurants we visited on our last trip. This is helpful.

Reply to: Does $$$$ in Mexico City mean the same thing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted