We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Mexico city

Whitby, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Safety in Mexico city

Never been to Mexico city before,Hearing alot about crime there and it not being safe for Canadians.Not planning on going to any clubs.only there for a wedding

26 replies to this topic
Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
542 reviews
1. Re: Safety in Mexico city

Take normal big city precautions - do not flash cash, walk streets drunk, visit shady areas, hire hookers and you will be fine. Mexican weddings are large and go all night. User Uber or sitio taxes (ask the business to call one) over hailing taxis. Enjoy.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Safety in Mexico city

Can you expand on what you've heard? Have you heard of specific incidents involving Canadians (or any tourists)? Here on Trip Advisor, visitors have reported being pickpocketed and I think one person mentioned being held up at knife point but I've not heard of anything more serious. Myself, I'm a Canadian who visits Mexico City several times a year and I feel very safe there. Also, do a search for "safety" using this forum's search function and you can read how other visitors have described the city over the past couple of years.

Here's one such past discussion:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g15080…

Edited: 05 July 2018, 13:55
Ann Arbor, Mich.
Level Contributor
471 posts
1 review
3. Re: Safety in Mexico city

We’ve been in Mexico City for 5 days now. Staying near the Alameda Park. We’ve been out and about in the Centro, Roma, Condessa, and Polanco during the day and at night and never once felt threatened or like we were in any sort of dangerous situation. As another poster said, take normal “big city” precautions.

As for Uber: we’ve used it every day and it’s been fine, but it helps to know where you’re going. We had one driver take us a few blocks from our destination. I think he was lost despite the GPS.

Edited: 05 July 2018, 19:27
Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
8,447 posts
134 reviews
4. Re: Safety in Mexico city

2maple026,

I travel solo to CDMX staying in the colonia Centro Hitorico and riding the Metro without any issues. Now I am not out and about in the wee hours of the morning either..... but no issues. I was 'jostled' once on a Metro station when a group of teenage girls pushed and shoved quite a bit.... which is reported to be the pre-curser to pick-pocketing..... but I was okay and nothing was taken not any attempts made in my pockets. Anyway....... no safety issue as far as I was concerned.

¡Diviértanse!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
22 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Safety in Mexico city

I am in CDMX at the moment and feel very safe. I have been here many times and do speak some Spanish. I am a woman traveling alone. Mexico City is one of the greatest cities in the world.

Edited: 05 July 2018, 20:20
Whitby, Canada
3 posts
1 review
6. Re: Safety in Mexico city

Thank you everyone for the very helpful replies.I feel very relieved. Will be staying at Camino real Polanco so all information regarding getting around was great.

The World
Level Contributor
116 posts
36 reviews
7. Re: Safety in Mexico city

Countless threads on safety already in this forum ... all with lots of great insight. All of those responses to those other threads are summarized nicely by the people who repeated them here.

In short, it’s perfectly safe. Absolutely. (Whatever you’ve heard is uninformed opinion from people who’ve never been there and don’t actually know what they’re talking about.)

Just as in NYC or Chicago or Houston or Toronto or Winnipeg ... don’t go to bad areas, don’t do stupid things. They’re all equally unsafe to Mexico City ... if you go to the wrong places or put yourself in stupid situations.

We took our family of four - including our two pre-teen children - to CDMX. We visited countless areas of the city, saw amazing sights, and had great experiences. Not once did we feel unsafe, and I’d go back in a heartbeat. We loved it, and recommend visiting without hesitation.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
8. Re: Safety in Mexico city

The Camino Real Polanco is a gem, the work of the late great architect Ricardo Legorreta. He had help from Luis Barragán and the eternal fountain is by sculptor Isamu Noguchi with a wall by artist Matias Goeritz -https://enlacearquitectura.com/7-datos-historicos-que-no-conocias-sobre-el-hotel-camino-real/

https:/…

I always try to stay there at least a night or so and just take some lounging time to appreciate the pool and hotel.

BC
Level Contributor
5,611 posts
202 reviews
9. Re: Safety in Mexico city

Not a hotel that I liked, nor the location, but maybe that is where the wedding is?

I have always felt very safe in Mexico City, if you are used to Toronto you won't find it much different. Just nicer people and better food!

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
542 reviews
10. Re: Safety in Mexico city

Take your precaution. A 30 year old US citizen female went for tacos with friends after hitting the bars on Friday night at El Califa on fancy Paseo de las Palmas. She was shot dead. Not sure if she was target or a guy who was wounded and apparently controls some Polanco bars.

Reply to: Safety in Mexico city
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted