We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at an All Inclusive

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping at an All Inclusive

Keith & Craig just brought up another good subject here, so I thought I would start a separate thread. Do you tip at an All Inclusive? Some would say no, it's "All Inclusive". Some might say yes, it's just the meals, drinks and room that are included, but gratuities for service are extra. For personal reasons I don't stay at All Inclusives, so it doesn't affect me, but it would be interesting to see what other people think and do. If I did stay at an AI, (just shoot me) I'm sure the hotels are paying as little to the staff as they can, which means there is nothing additional being paid to them from the package you paid for. So I would tip as if I were in a regular hotel & or restaurant.

Edited: 11 September 2017, 18:11
Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,309 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping at an All Inclusive

Obviously....................Agreed.

Keith

Monument, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping at an All Inclusive

I'm in agreement gentleman. Learned early on when we did all inclusives that not only are tips appreciated......but that the service levels I got were much greater the those folks that believed you don't need to tip because it's all inclusive.

I prefer to find waiters and bartenders right away at an AI, introduce myself and tip them well. I'm most cases, they take great care of me. Not that I need to be waited on hand and foot, just that I appreciate good service (like getting waited on faster or my drinks delivered first, before non tipping customers get theirs). I also treat waiters and bartenders respectfully and not like a slave. I've seen that ugliness first hand. Won't name the state that I associate the rudest travelers to be from....haha.

But if you read enough hotel reviews....the crankiness complainers about service at all inclusives tend to come from the same state in the U.S. and the trend becomes obvious.

Edited: 11 September 2017, 19:44
Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping at an All Inclusive

Totally agree, Several weeks ago I returned from a river cruise in Europe. A cruise company envelope was furnished the day before the trip ended. A 10-12 Euro tip per person per day was recommended. This was to be equally split among the crew, from the captain on down to the dishwasher, as everyone was considered an equal and important part of a team. Even though direct tipping was discouraged, a 20 Euro bill found it's way into the hands of both our bartenders on day one. While every passage got 5 star service, I got VIP treatment every time my wife or I need a drink. Now that cost me $3 a day and that was nothing in the grand scheme of things when you look at what the total trip cost. But these two guys were from Eastern Europe, were the unemployment rates 30-40% and they both had families to support there. While it wasn't much money to me, it meant a lot to them.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping at an All Inclusive

Keith,

Besides the usual 20% cash tip would there be something additional that I could bring down for Ramon Oleaje? I was thinking hooks, line, steel leader the usual stuff as I assume that it is expensive down there.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,309 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping at an All Inclusive

Craig!

Depends on what he is fishing, but what I like to bring is Circle Hooks for one. I have been trying to encourage anyone that I fish with to use them when using live bait. For Sailfish and Roosters my preference is the Gamakatsu circle in 6/0 or 7/0 size. Some guys like the Red, some the Black.

I have also brought down fishing pliers, Megabait style Metal Slider style lures in the 1-2.6 oz sizes. They work great in the Black Slipjack tuna that everyone in Z uses for Marlin bait, and Tiritias for boat lunch.

Line and such, I only bring when requested, because all the Captains have their favorite for whatever they are fishing, and I hate to bring down something that they really wouldn't like.

You know those guys, they will take it with a Big Smile and a hug............then set it on a shelf somewhere LOL.

Keith

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
394 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping at an All Inclusive

The service people work so hard for very little money. Do you actually think the "tips included" are passed on? We have only done a couple of AIs..not our thing, but I find it absolutely appalling when people don't tip these people. Last year in the Dominican we were at a Japanese alacarte ( where 8 or so sit around the cook who was amazing..with his tricks and the food was so good!!)..we were the only couple who tipped the cook and the waiters..couldn't believe it!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,489 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping at an All Inclusive

Unfortunately a lot of travel books and vacation sites and brochures still continue to make claims that all inclusive resorts have 'tips included'. I think only the Sandals chain have a true 'no tips accepted' policy- in Mexico resort areas, tipping (including at All Inclusive hotels and resorts) is very much the norm.

I read the average tipping percentage in Mexico is traditionally 10%. I tip on average 15% when on vacation to Mexico-slightly lower than here at home (15-20%).

I tip busboys, hotel maids, servers, bartenders-the usual. I do not tip taxi drivers unless they are doing something 'above and beyond'- carting baggage or groceries, or acting as tour guide.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
394 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping at an All Inclusive

Thumbs up on that!! Our view is, if any of us gringos can afford to travel, an extra $100 or so is nothing for us but very important to the service people who help make our vacations great!

toronto
Level Contributor
180 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping at an All Inclusive

How did you like the river cruise? We went a couple of years ago on the Rhine and loved it.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping at an All Inclusive

It was on the Rhine and Danube. From Amsterdam to Vienna. On a scale of 1-10, a good 10 for sure. I've had my fill on big cruise ships, so 140 passage river boat on a calm body of water, with tasty regional food and 5 star service was refreshing.

Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo