We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any advise on Plaza Mar Condos

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,299 posts
166 reviews
Any advise on Plaza Mar Condos

I will be in PV for 10 nights in June, I am looking to stay 2 of the nights down in oldtown and I was thinking of Plaza Mar Condos - question: has anyone stayed there lately? Did you like it? The only bad thing I found out so far is that the pool will be closed for the month of June but since it is on the beach, that might not be that big of a deal. Any input would be helpful. Thanks much!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
562 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Any advise on Plaza Mar Condos

I was just there in September. My review is here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150793-d263…

I hate to say it, because we loved this place so much, but you will really be missing out if the pool is closed. That was probably our favorite feature of this property. It is right on Los Muertos Beach and you can walk to the Malecon in about 10 minutes, so location-wise, it is the ultimate, in my opinion. The beach is very nice there as well. I guess it just depends whether you prefer the beach or the pool.

I hope this helps.

mike

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,299 posts
166 reviews
2. Re: Any advise on Plaza Mar Condos

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply and I did read your review and it made me really excited about staying there except for the pool being closed. My daughters were not too excited about the pool being closed either. Do you know if the condo would have beach chairs set up on the beach to use for guests? I really like the location and the price - maybe I need to keep searching.

Thanks again for your help.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
562 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Any advise on Plaza Mar Condos

OK, let me clarify. Plaza Mar is located right across Lazaro Cardenas from the park of the same name, where Olas Atlas ends. So Burro Bar and a walkway are actually directly between the condo and the water. The complex doesn't have any ameneties on the beach.

As you probably already know, there are plenty of restaurants/bars on Los Muertos where you can make use of their palapas and beach chairs as long as long as you are buying food or drinks from them.

Honestly, we loved the rooftop pool area so much (and pretty much had it to ourselves since we were there in Sept) that we spent the majority of our water/sun time there. And we are usually beach people! The views from there are truly stunning.

I know there were 2 other condo buildings in the immediate area that looked very nice as well. I don't know their names though. The one is in the building where Dacquiri Richards is located. The other one was just north of Plaza Mar. It was a white building. Maybe someone else reading this thread will know the names.

BTW, who are you thinking of renting from at Plaza Mar?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
28,051 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Any advise on Plaza Mar Condos

The ones above Dacquiri Richards are Plaza Dorada, and I think the ones you are referencing north of Plaza Mar are the Vista del Sol.

Both get very high marks from renters; I have friends who stay at VDS twice a year and love it. They have a great rooftop pool there as well.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,299 posts
166 reviews
5. Re: Any advise on Plaza Mar Condos

Mike, I have been talking to the owner of unit 306 - his name is Jeff. Is that who you rented from? I am going to call and ask if the rooftop area will be closed or just the pool area, because I would still want to able to go up there just to watch sunsets. Jeff said we would have access to use a pool at another condo but I can't remember which condo he said - but I think it might be one that PVjennybean mentioned above.

PVjennybean - thanks for your input, I will check those Condos out too.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
28,051 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Any advise on Plaza Mar Condos

Sounds like Jeff Musto's condos. I know people who have rented from him and been quite happy.

If he has access to another pool that would be an ideal situation...that being said, the other options I noted do both have rooftop pools that are not under renovation right now as far as I know (that's the downside of going to PV sometimes in the summer, big renovation time for high season).

VDS has listings at VRBO dot com in the Zona Romantica section; the building is primarily two bedroom units, although I think there are a couple of one bedrooms.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
562 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Any advise on Plaza Mar Condos

Yep, that's Jeff Musto. We rented from him and had zero complaints whatsoever. He's very well known and reputable.

Thanks for the backup PVJennybean!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
562 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Any advise on Plaza Mar Condos

I don't get why the pool will be closed, since it looked like it had just been redone when we were there. I even heard from another owner there that it had been closed recently for renovations. Are you sure that the info about the closing isn't dated?

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
562 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Any advise on Plaza Mar Condos

Hey, one more thing. Why are you looking at #306? Is #606 not available? That's Jeff's personal PV residence. He owns #306 too, but just for rental purposes as far as I know.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,299 posts
166 reviews
10. Re: Any advise on Plaza Mar Condos

PVJennybean, how far of a walk would it be to go use the pool at Plaza Dorado, I am pretty sure that is the place Jeff mentioned. I am still going to check out VDS, I really don't need a 2 bedroom but maybe they would have a 1 bedrooom with a pull out sofa. Its just for me and my 2 daughters and we just need it for 2 nights. I am thinking for the price - maybe walking 2 or 3 blocks to use a pool, wouldn't be so bad. I am looking forward to staying in the romantic zone area, because my timeshare is in the marina area and I usually stay there or in the hotel zone.

Yeah, there are down falls for going during the summer, but when you still have high shool and college age kids, its the first thing they want to do when they get out of school. Its not my favorite time of the year to go, but at least I get to go about 4 times a year.

Thanks for your help!