We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One more suggestion for tourists

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
31 reviews
One more suggestion for tourists

And this one applies to ALL tourists. Not just those on cruise ships. Please do yourself and everyone in Mazatlan a favor and DON'T bring $100 bills! A few days ago I had to help a waiter from a restaurant at the other end of the block by giving him change for a $100 bill. (I just happened to have a lot of cash on me at that moment. I usually don't) He had been walking all around the plaza trying every restaurant and many of the diners trying to get change. The couple who had dropped the $100 bill on him had a diner bill that amounted to $17 ! I am not sure if they were trying to show off (It happens) or thought meals in Mazatlan were much more expensive than they actually are, but it created a lot of extra work for their waiter. Fortunately I had sufficient change or I don't know what they would have done. $20 bills are rarely a problem and not difficult to carry with you. So please show some consideration.

Jalisco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: One more suggestion for tourists

The Peso is the currency of Mexico, I do not know if tourists are lazy or too stupid to learn the exchange rate.

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
508 posts
73 reviews
2. Re: One more suggestion for tourists

Reminded of when I was back in London earlier this year. Group of American tourists were gobsmacked that the restaurant they were ii only accepted sterling or credit cards and not USD...

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
128 posts
3. Re: One more suggestion for tourists

I take it gobsmacked means they weren't happy?

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: One more suggestion for tourists

Flabbergasted !

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
866 posts
5. Re: One more suggestion for tourists

I agree with everything you said and encourage folks not to use them either.

If these were overnight tourists they should have known enough to go to a casa de cambio . It was simply bad manners on their part as I'm thinking they had a credit card they could of offered. If they were there during daytime weekday the waiter could have ran down to one and charged them via less of a exchange rate (and made the customer wait). I'm thinking it was after hours for the cambios.

Edited: 07 August 2017, 23:48
Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: One more suggestion for tourists

Another reminder if anyone happens to be carrying US cash around is that Sam's Club and similar will refuse to accept $100 bills because of counterfeit possibilities. Smaller denominations are accepted in payment for groceries or whatever and you will get the correct exchange rate. Of course, change will be in pesos.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,071 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: One more suggestion for tourists

I agree with carico... Pesos

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
400 posts
29 reviews
8. Re: One more suggestion for tourists

Pesos..it's about respect. Would it be acceptable to try to pay in pesos in an American restaurant??

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
839 posts
41 reviews
9. Re: One more suggestion for tourists

Pesos, Pesos, Pesos. This is after all Mexico and their currency is not Greenbacks, Loonies or Quid. If you feel the need to carry hundreds of dollars for shopping or dining there, then do yourself and the local folks a big favour and convert it to pesos.

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
138 posts
24 reviews
10. Re: One more suggestion for tourists

Carico, some are lazy, some are stupid, but I think even more of them are simply misinformed. It seems to be a rapidly growing phenomenon that I see people ask questions on social media rather than simply using Google or some other search engine. I'm not referring to questions like"how was your experience at this place", but instead basic questions that one could find definitive answers to with a simple search. Then, of course, the questions asked on social media result in answers from people who are equally ignorant, and incorrect information gains a false legitimacy and is repeated even more frequently. In many ways, the quality of information taking up space in people's heads was of a much higher quality when people went to the library to obtain answers than it is today.

Get answers to your questions about Mazatlan