We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions sought on safety in Acapulco

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Opinions sought on safety in Acapulco

Hi-

We have friends renting a luxury villa in the hills above Acapulco who have invited us to join them. I've been reading up on the area (having last visited in 1989!) and I have to admit I'm very nervous to go. We were going to rent a car and explore and I've already nixed that idea. I guess we can hire a car and driver/ tour guide, but I'm nervous about going anywhere. Am I being overly cautious here? Is Acapulco still a safe place to visit? How would you recommend we get around? What should we go see? I remember the main beaches being kind of dirty and crowded when I was a college student - are there better (safer), quieter beaches nearby?

Thanks for any advice!

1. Re: Opinions sought on safety in Acapulco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 October 2011, 11:55
San Antonio...
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
14,448 posts
617 reviews
2. Re: Opinions sought on safety in Acapulco

We were there in May. We are seasoned, cautious travelers. We use common sense. We did drive without any issues. We hired a tour guide Sebastian Hernandez for a city tour which included Chapel of Peace, Lunch and Cliff Divers , Flamingo hotel and other sites. He was an excellent well informed tour guide who I would suggest highly. We dined at night at Las Brisas and also Su Casa, both were outstnding. the rest of our meals except for some lunches while out on malecon or zocalo we had at our resort. We encountered no difficulties but did see a high police and military presence.

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Opinions sought on safety in Acapulco

Nixing the rental car was a good thing (I know, Bezerk). Like Berzerk said Sebastian is great. Stevemex is right on. I'll still be going.

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,313 posts
256 reviews
4. Re: Opinions sought on safety in Acapulco

I went my 1st time just before you and have the same memories. The beach and water much cleaner now then back durind the late 80's.

I also echo all the prior statements being in a villa you certainly won't be getting out and about as much as most of us would which in the current climate is a good thing.

I certainly would see some of the previous sites mentioned and Sebastian is a terrific guide and there have been no problems during these tours reported.

Have a great trip most who stay in Villas have great things to say.

5. Re: Opinions sought on safety in Acapulco

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 October 2011, 11:56
6. Re: Opinions sought on safety in Acapulco

Removed on: 12 October 2011, 11:56
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,883 posts
60 reviews
7. Re: Opinions sought on safety in Acapulco

Yikes. :(

San Antonio...
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
14,448 posts
617 reviews
8. Re: Opinions sought on safety in Acapulco

It does certainly sound as though it is deteriorating quickly.....this is all so sad....I am holding off on my booking for ACA next May for a few months to see if maybe some climate change occurs. I felt fine last May while there but the tourist zones were not dumping grounds at that time......so I will just wait a tad to see...

Yikes but most likely we will go unless gets worse, I heard not to go last May and well it was fine so who knows right now, personal choice..

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
702 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Opinions sought on safety in Acapulco

I don't have the stat in front of me but the number of foreign tourists killed in ACA's violence is probably equal or lesser than Montreal's. You may want to postpone any plans of entering into a turf war but other than that the city is still filled with more good people than bad ones. Anywhere you go 1.5% to 2% of the population will be bad. That percentage may fluxuate a bit but not much. Any city of a million plus with a steep rise in unemployment will see a rise in it's bad to good percentage, but those that fall into that rise are often petty criminals. Having a guide is the way to go.

Either beach to the North(Pie de la cuesta) or South(Princess'/Bonfil) are great for relaxation. The South offering good surf. Puerto Marques is the Southern most bay and in my opinion the cleanest and calmest.

10. Re: Opinions sought on safety in Acapulco

Removed on: 12 October 2011, 11:57
Get answers to your questions about Acapulco