We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive from mexico city to Acapulco

New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
drive from mexico city to Acapulco

Hi, considering driving from the city to Acapulco for a couple of days and wondering if its better to drive or take the bus? Driving seems quicker since they built the new highway but will have two kids with us and have been told it won't be safe, could get stopped on the highway?? we have driven in Mexico in the past and obviously realize we can get pulled over by the cops for no reason at all. Thanks

12 replies to this topic
Bryn Mawr...
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
88 reviews
1. Re: drive from mexico city to Acapulco

Posted on the other Thread Will Be taking the bus February First to Acapulco myself Never thought of driving, Due to advise of about 100% of posters here, Air Fare is about One Hundred on interjet , Bus will be much cheaper

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,461 posts
1 review
2. Re: drive from mexico city to Acapulco

With two kids? Do yourself a favor and take one of the luxury buses. And when you're in Acapulco, use the local buses and taxis to move about the city. You're on vacation ...

I'm pretty sure you'll get this same response (opinion) from 99% of the contributors here.

Edited: 28 August 2018, 13:42
Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,898 posts
111 reviews
3. Re: drive from mexico city to Acapulco

Here are several recent threads on driving. I will add my two centavos worth and say that it is a one hour flight or a 4 1/2 hour bus ride on a luxury bus from Mexico City.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g15078…

Edited: 28 August 2018, 14:10
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: drive from mexico city to Acapulco

Just a few simple questions: how good is your Spanish? You have your own car? Registered in Mexico? Rental car are pretty much a target for issues from legit cops and “others”. Not sure where you are staying but I can tell you that parking anywhere on the Costera proper is a royal pain. Think a block or so away from hotel. That will be an unsecured spot. Rental car?

Most folks would fly or bus from Mex city and utilize the taxi and bus services available. To each their own.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: drive from mexico city to Acapulco

I wouldn't even consider driving, as public transportation is so cheap and plentiful.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
752 posts
74 reviews
6. Re: drive from mexico city to Acapulco

Do NOT drive from Mexico to Acapulco. Taking a bus is fine. Flying is best. But driving on the carretera is no longer advised - recently there have been a number of incidents of passenger cars being forced to stop and being robbed, sometimes with injuries. This trend is forecasted to continue.

Save yourself the time, hassle and worry, and take the bus or fly.

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: drive from mexico city to Acapulco

Ditto what RFNJ said. There have been way too many incidents lately.....and shots have been fired in more than a couple of incidents.

New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: drive from mexico city to Acapulco

i actually though we would feel safer in a car and would drive early in the morning and just not stop ( 3 hrs drive) feel more vulnerable on the bus !

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
752 posts
74 reviews
9. Re: drive from mexico city to Acapulco

I would fight your instinct there, Janine. In pretty much every way possible, bus to Acapulco and Taxis in Acapulco is the way to go.

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,898 posts
111 reviews
10. Re: drive from mexico city to Acapulco

More like 4 to 4 1/2 hours. Almost as long as a bus ride. Take. The. Bus.

Reply to: drive from mexico city to Acapulco
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Acapulco