We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile Passport App

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,950 posts
111 reviews
Mobile Passport App

I recently came through Houston on my way home from Puerto Vallarta and used my Mobile Passport app for the first time. I have had it installed on my phone for a while but I forgot it was there. When I landed in Houston, I realized they never passed out customs forms. I didn’t think much of it because I planned on using my Mobile Passport app anyway. It is simple to use and I had it filled out in less than 2 minutes after landing. You can submit it up to four hours before you get to immigration but you also state when submitting that you are at your port of entry. I waited until we touched down and had it finished long before we reached the gate. You answer the same questions as were on the form and/or at the kiosks. There were signs everywhere as I was walking from the plane to immigration to download the Mobile Passport app. I was directed to the Global Entry line totally bypassing the kiosks and then that split off to Global Entry and Mobile Passport. I was third in line. I handed my passport to the agent, he scanned it and said welcome home and I was done. From the time the plane touched down and I got through security again it was less than an hour. We were basically ignored going through customs and my longest wait was for luggage. Security has been totally redesigned and a lot quicker to get through now. I’m not sure how much I like the redesign of the terminals yet and finding non-designer water was a little difficult All in all Houston has really improved its immigration and customs experience.

20 replies to this topic
Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,313 posts
256 reviews
1. Re: Mobile Passport App

Good to know Jane I intend to use it as well thanks.

Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Mobile Passport App

Thanks, Jane, I have a very close connection in IAH and have installed the Mobile Passport app. Gosh, I hope it saves me standing in a long line!

Level Contributor
1,883 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Mobile Passport App

If it is at all possible - do not check a bag. That has been the biggest issue lately. Takes forever to get from plane to baggage area. The mobile app will help quite a bit

Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Mobile Passport App

Will be checking 2 bags.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
8,449 posts
134 reviews
5. Re: Mobile Passport App

Well Donna E, you will zoom through US Immigration then but have to wait for your luggage @ baggage claim, to clear US Customs.

¡Diviértanse!

Edited: 17 September 2018, 01:56
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
810 posts
76 reviews
6. Re: Mobile Passport App

Lonestar makes an excellent point. This is why I no longer use Houston as my port of entry back into the US. Sometime I have no choice but to check a bag, so flying through Mexico city and from there direct to NYC makes things easier for me.

Level Contributor
1,883 posts
41 reviews
7. Re: Mobile Passport App

Let me clarify. A few years ago passport entry area was so choked down that the baggage area was never a concern. Now they have gotten much, much better there but it makes the baggage arrival seem very slow. I would suggest getting to passport control in a rapid manner. Once thru there, ride down to baggage and get your bags, walk thru customs and recheck bags.

Now stop. Normally they will direct you to another security gate upstairs and behind the baggage check in machines. That checkpoint tends to be slow and crowded. Instead take the exit door. Veering slightly left you will see an escaltor going up to another, less crowded check in point. This is the way we normally travel thru that area. Much quicker.

And remember. The cart drivers can be had for twenty USD usually!

Coon Rapids...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
34 reviews
8. Re: Mobile Passport App

Good to know it works!

I'll now give it a try, thanks for your information!

Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Mobile Passport App

Thank you!

Burton, PEI, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
10. Re: Mobile Passport App

Lago - re #7 - when rechecking bags for a connecting flight, do you need to exit the secure area and clear security once again after having dropped off bags (for either the slow/crowded checkpoint or up the escalator)? This will be our first time connecting in Houston. Thanks.

Reply to: Mobile Passport App
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Acapulco