We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Canada to Acapulco

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
1 review
Driving from Canada to Acapulco

Has anyone done the drive feom Canada to Acapulco and if so has there been any problems encountered along the way.I will be driving an older truck and plan on driving tell about 7 or 8pm at night.

Andres

16 replies to this topic
Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,294 posts
256 reviews
1. Re: Driving from Canada to Acapulco

I have friends who make that run every year though they take their time when traveling down. I'll see if they can make some recommendations.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,923 posts
216 reviews
2. Re: Driving from Canada to Acapulco

I did it. The main message is learn why driving after dark is inadvisable. Next is choose your route. Coast is slower and prettier. Cheaper too, without the tolls. Have photocopies of your licence and do your best not to hand out your original. Speak enough Spanish to be able to BS.

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,923 posts
111 reviews
3. Re: Driving from Canada to Acapulco

Listen to Alegre about learning why you do not drive after dark.

Canada
Level Contributor
293 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Driving from Canada to Acapulco

Just got a message from truck2chief and so here is what I know. We also live in Ontario and we have driven down to Acapulco every year for 8 years so far and counting. We have never had a problem in any way. We do not know any Spanish. A few things that we do is: 1) We go only on the toll roads as they are safer. 2) We never drive after dark. 3) We cross the border early in the morning to get a full day in on day 1. 4) We overnight in Laredo Texas and from there we access the toll road right after the border crossing. 5) We have our night in Mexico booked in advance via internet before we leave home. 6) We drive a trustworthy but not flashy vehicle as we do not want to have a breakdown in Mexico but also do not want to be driving a car that gets too much attention. 7) You need to get a permit to take your vehicle into Mexico. There is a small fee for this permit and also there is a sizable deposit which they refund to you when you take the vehicle back out of the country.

If you have any specific questions. I would be happy to answer them.

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
1 review
5. Re: Driving from Canada to Acapulco

Great looking forward to hearing what they might have to say.

Regards

Edited: 24 June 2018, 21:18
Toronto, Canada
5 posts
1 review
6. Re: Driving from Canada to Acapulco

Okay thanks for the great info.

How much is the deposit and can you obtain the permiso at the border crossing in laredo ?

Regards

Andres

Canada
Level Contributor
293 posts
20 reviews
7. Re: Driving from Canada to Acapulco

Yes we always get the permit at the border crossing at Laredo but there is a special area that you go to for vehicle permits. You park the car, take your vehicle registration, drivers license and passport with you into the building. It saves a step if you have a few copies of your passport, drivers and registration or you have to pay them a few cents to copy them and this is in a separate lineup. The permit is around $20 but the deposit is as much as US$400 for an almost new car and less depending on the age of your vehicle. The newer it is the larger the deposit. I do not know the rules if you want to leave a car in Mexico. The deposit is to stop people bringing cars into Mexico illegally.

In the 8 years that we have crossed the border, we have only encountered a lengthy lineup once. It was on the US Thanksgiving weekend. Generally you can expect to spend from 45 minutes to 1 hour crossing the border.

There are 4 lineups including the one for photocopies. Often there is only 1 or 2 people in each line. They are numbered from 1 to 4. You start at line number 1 where you get your visa to personally enter the country. You get a form to fill out and they look at your passport. Then there is the line for photocopies. Then we go to line number 4 where you get your vehicle permit. They give you a sticker to put in your windshield. Line 4 is where you pay all of the charges. They accept credit cards or cash. We pay with credit card but we pay the deposit with US cash because however you pay it, that is the same method that you get your refund. By paying in cash you are assured that you get the same amount back in cash when you leave Mexico. If you pay the deposit by credit card the exchange rate varies and you will never know exactly how much you will get back on your card.

You get your refund at the same place where you pay it when you are leaving Mexico.

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
1 review
8. Re: Driving from Canada to Acapulco

Ok great that will help me alot in my travels .I appreciate you taking the time to help me with this.

Muchos gracias

Toronto
Level Contributor
263 posts
33 reviews
9. Re: Driving from Canada to Acapulco

Hi CanadaSuntraveller

My wife and I are driving down from Toronto to Lo de Marcos just North of Puerto Vallarta. We are leaving on July 12th and going through Laredo. How far do you make it on your first day in Mexico? We are going to cross the border at first light and are hoping to make it to Aguascaliente for the night. Do you think that is a doable drive on the first day? We are towing a 6 x 12 trailer so we may be a bit slower. We will also have 3 dogs with us so will have to make a couple of pee stops. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Canada
Level Contributor
293 posts
20 reviews
10. Re: Driving from Canada to Acapulco

That is a very long day. We drive a very long day from Laredo leaving the hotel at 6am and then by the time we are through the border it is after 7am and just light. Of course that is in November so the day length is a bit different. Anyway, we pack a picnic lunch and only stop 1 time during the day for gas, washroom and a great cup of coffee at San Pedro's about an hour past Saltillo. Then we continue on to San Miguel de Allende where we usually stay 2 or 3 nights before we head our on Sunday morning to drive through Mexico City and get to Acapulco by mid afternoon.

San Miguel is about as far as you would want to go from Laredo. We are always tired and very happy to arrive shortly before dark. We have our favorite little hotel there were we can walk to everything with our fully packed car parked in front of our room and they shut the gate to the compound at 10pm every night.

From looking at the map and considering that you have dogs along, your day will also be very long. Do whatever you can to get there as soon as you can. Do not stop for lunch, don't drink a lot in the morning, keep your stops brief and you should be OK as it looks like it is 30 minutes closer than where we get to. Our drive from San Miguel to Acapulco is short in comparison so that day is usually stress-free.

Reply to: Driving from Canada to Acapulco
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Acapulco