We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is aca dangerous??

Level Contributor
271 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
is aca dangerous??

i'm a mexican living in Los Angeles and always loved aca but after so many news about drug cartels and all that stuff is still safe to go there?

Bryn Mawr...
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is aca dangerous??

Go and enjoy,

LONG ISLAND, NEW...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: is aca dangerous??

You live in Los Angeles, and are worried about ACA?

Go, enjoy, it will be like a breath of fresh air.

Level Contributor
7,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: is aca dangerous??

porfavor amigo.......benvenidos a su casa.........lol........ditto on the above mentioned.........zzaa

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,876 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is aca dangerous??

Same as any big city. Go and enjoy.

Earth
Level Contributor
425 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is aca dangerous??

edlara,

This message board exists to promote tourism and does a uniquely wonderful job at that. Information that is potentially negative to the promotion of tourism is not allowed, however. A few weeks ago I quoted newspaper articles about safety issues in Acapulco, and they were removed by TA advisors. Ergo, you'll need to find full and unbiased information about "safety" elsewhere. The answers and responses here will always be the same: the crime in your hometown is just as bad as xyz destination. If and when you decide to visit Acapulco (it's a great city -- enjoyed one of my best-ever vacations there two years ago) then you can use this board for really great info about your plans such as airfares, hotels, dining, tours, don't-miss sites and activities, etc. Whether or not to go in terms of current safety issues, however, is not something this particular forum can help you with in terms of current, objective, and unbiased facts. It's always advisable to make fully informed decisions when it comes to international travel itineraries. You need to look elsewhere for that particular data.

NJ
Level Contributor
8,678 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is aca dangerous??

Is it as safe as Disney World...No way Jose, but imo it's safe enough for travel. I never had an issue and I'll keep coming back.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is aca dangerous??

Personally, I think Acapulco is safer than your hometown (LA), especially if you're Mexican.

However, I'll have to agree with Leighwit -- I've searched the TA forums for opinions on safety for many destinations, and the answer that I see on the forums is ALWAYS "Place xyz is safe, take normal safety precautions".... that was even the advice for a city which is occupied by UN peacekeeping troops....

NJ
Level Contributor
8,678 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is aca dangerous??

I feel safe there, but when I see responses that say there's crime all over the world etc etc....I find it to be covering the truth.

Sure there's crime where I live, but not to the extent that the US Military has to send 1000's of troops, federal police, state police and have 1000's of men with automatic weapons to protect me or to prevent crime. So from that perspective, I find most responses on here to be covering up realities and attempting to draw comparisons where there is no comparison.

With all that said, I reitterate that I feel safe in Acapulco for the most part, but this is a high crime city/state compared with others in Mexico and around the world.

If you are looking for trouble in this city, you will find it. if you are looking to relax by the pool, beach, go to a nice restaurant/club...you will be fine.

Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: is aca dangerous??

I think to say that we don´t give objective advice is unfair. Yes it is true that this board is here to help travellers but by not telling the truth we do not help anyone. I appreciate that certain posts have been removed but this is a family site and sensationalising any sitiuation doesn´t help. I am not denying that there have been problems but ask people who have visited if it is unsafe and I think you will find they do not think so. I myself the same as many others am not from Acapulco and do not have to stay here if I do not think it is safe. I have a young family and if I thought for a moment there was a danger to us I would leave.......but I don´t I sit back, relax and enjoy all the wonderful things that this port has to offer so come on down and do the same!!!!!

Ix

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is aca dangerous??

I think a lot of the "Mexico is safer than your hometown" posts that we've been seeing on TA were intended as a response to the hysterical Canadian media. Lately, the Canadian media has been trolling for Mexico horror stories and airing anything that they can get their hands on, without regard to the context (such as when and where the incident happend, or if the traveller was engaging in a high-risk activity).

Get answers to your questions about Acapulco