We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Tail Boat & Speedboats - Private vs Group Tour

los angeles
Level Contributor
287 posts
6 reviews
Long Tail Boat & Speedboats - Private vs Group Tour

Hello,

I will be in Thailand in November and I have a few questions...

Based on your experience, did you like going on a private vs group tour?

Do the long tail boats and/or speedboats provide snorkeling gear? Or should I bring my own? Or are they available for rent?

Do the long tail boats & speedboats typically dock close to shore so it's easy to get out? Or would I have to jump out and swim? I am not the best swimmer so I just want to know what I'm up for when I go.

Thank you!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Long Tail Boat & Speedboats - Private vs Group Tour

We go a lot to Ao Nang /Thailand and travel with our young son. Private vs. Group is a cost decision! However, we never go with groups as they seem a nightmare and you are under there total time control. We always arrange a Private Long Tail when we are there the day before we want to do the trip. You can hire boats at one of the two 'Boat Offices' in Ao Nang. This gives us perfect flexibility of when we want to do something. We usually pay 2,800 Baht for the day and head to Hong Island before the large groups turn up. The Long Tail will land of the beach, so no issues about swimming but you may get your shorts wet. The Long Tails usually have Snorkelling kit but its very basic.

enjoy

Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
83 reviews
2. Re: Long Tail Boat & Speedboats - Private vs Group Tour

We visited aonang in January & planned to do the 4 island tour.

Having checked out group long tail fares we found it about the same price for the four of us to hire a long tail for our exclusive use. This included pick up from our hotel, transfer to the pier, water & fruit on the boat, snorkels etc before being taken back to our hotel. Everything worked well & the skipper was very helpful throughout the day.

Hiring privately meant we could choose how long to stay on any one island - we docked right alongside the piers and beaches so no swimming to shore!

The group long tails probably carried upwards of twenty passengers so they took time to embark & disembark at each stop ..... as well as having to wait for the last passenger to arrive.

We booked from a guy in a small cabin on the road to the Krabi Thai Village hotel. From memory the boat etc cost around £75 in total (ie less than £20 each).

los angeles
Level Contributor
287 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Long Tail Boat & Speedboats - Private vs Group Tour

Thank you for your responses! :)

Krabi
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
4. Re: Long Tail Boat & Speedboats - Private vs Group Tour

Recommended private long-tail boat. Coz you can staying longer at some island but private long-tail boat have not including lunch you must prepare by self or telling when you booking if you prefer and not including entrance fee about 300-400 thb per person that need you pay by self.

5. Re: Long Tail Boat & Speedboats - Private vs Group Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2017, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Ao Nang
Recent Conversations