We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning 8 nights in Andamon Sea

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Planning 8 nights in Andamon Sea

Hello!

My wife and i are honeymooning in Thailand December 25 to January 3. We fly into Phuket. We have a simple place booked by the Phuket Airport nights of Dec 25 and Jan 2.

We are looking to spend some quieter days Dec 26-29 at somewhere dynamically scenic, hopefully close to the beach. We would prefer the scene not be as crowded or loud. We are okay with spending more these days on lodging as we will probably spend more time at the hotel relaxing, but, of course, considerations in your advice for affordability is always appreciated. Food is definitely important! Also we'd be keen to take a day trip somewhere. We love snorkeling! Cheap spa amenities in town or in accommodations would be rad.

For Dec 30-Jan 2, we'd like to stay somewhere probably on Phuket to be situated around there for New Year's Eve. Something conveniently proximal to parties for the weekend but not too overwhelmed by development would be ideal (too good to be true?). Local food is still important for this period too! We'd again like to do a day trip or two from here as well.

I appreciate in advance recommendations for general locations to stay at and for day tripping as well as specific lodgings and restaurants. Pros and cons would be very helpful especially for region recommendations and lodging. We are both barely 30 and are keen for some adventure, but would also like to relax a little more fancy-like since it's our honeymoon. Let me know if you need more info on us. PS, my dad works for Starwood, so we get their discount (but there's nothing for the holidays at that rate), and Marriott's chain discount too (tba soon!).

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Phuket Airport Hotel
Phuket Airport Hotel
521 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning 8 nights in Andamon Sea

First of all you're travelling at the peak of the peak season. You best hurry up booking, as long as there is still something decent available. Therefore, check what is still available in Ao Nang. Ao Nang is not very big, about 2 km along the main road. Another option would be Koh Lanta. Expect beaches will be rather crowded and doing tours you're amongst thousands.

In Phuket I would look at Bang Tao Beach in the Northern part.

-

Mentioned in this post
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Lanta
Lanta
48 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Bang Tao Beach
Bang Tao Beach
778 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
London, United...
Level Contributor
14,684 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning 8 nights in Andamon Sea

Wow, you are travelling over Christmas and NY and you haven't booked your hotels ? You need to do this asap.

Look at Koh Lanta, Khoa Lak and maybe Kata or Karon in Phuket.

Mentioned in this post
Lanta
Lanta
48 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning 8 nights in Andamon Sea

Thank you both DodgerIrish and klongmuang for replying and for expressing the urgency. We actually have Long Beach Chalet in Koh Lanta reserved for Dec 26-29, but still looking since we can still cancel for free until some time in December. We don't have anything booked for the rest, however. I will get on it! I was also looking at here in Ao Nang. I've heard though that Ao Nang is such a hub, and it has me hesitant. There are Burger Kings there? I'd rather not be in the South Pacific's version of Cancun... Is it that bad? Should I avoid it? Is Railay more advisable?

Any of these places mentioned would we be more likely to have access to quality (cheaper than hotel) massage treatments, snorkeling, not over-developed/priced food more than another place?

I'll also look at Khoa Lak, Kata and Karon in Phuket. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Long Beach Chalet
Long Beach Chalet
661 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Lanta
Lanta
48 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Railay Beach
Railay Beach
Krabi Town, Thailand
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
London, United...
Level Contributor
14,684 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning 8 nights in Andamon Sea

Ao Nang is great for boat trips but I much prefer Koh Lanta or Railey in Krabi Provence.

Mentioned in this post
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Lanta
Lanta
48 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
London, United...
Level Contributor
14,684 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning 8 nights in Andamon Sea

Ao Nang doesn't just have a Burger King but also a Mac Donald's.

Mentioned in this post
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
6. Re: Planning 8 nights in Andamon Sea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2017, 06:15