We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toll queries (Austria - Brenner Pass - Bruneck)

India
Level Contributor
118 posts
40 reviews
Toll queries (Austria - Brenner Pass - Bruneck)

Hello,

We will drive from Austria (Vorarlberg) to Bruneck via Innsbruck in May/Jun. Before approaching Brenner pass, I will pay a toll at Innsbruck (in addition to Austrian highway vignette), which I think takes care till the Brenner pass.

My query is as follows :-

1. Is there a toll payable at Brenner pass on Italian side ?

2. What is the procedure for paying the toll (cash lane, etc)?

I have checked up autostrade, but there seems to be limited info on my route (Brenner - Vipitino - Verna A22/E45 followed by SS49/E66 to Bruneck)

Would welcome any inputs on this route.

Thanks in anticipation.

8 replies to this topic
San Lorenzo di...
Destination Expert
for South Tyrol Dolomites
Level Contributor
731 posts
1. Re: Toll queries (Austria - Brenner Pass - Bruneck)

Hi, thing is: you must buy a 10-day toll ticket for the Austrian Autobahn, the fee for that is €8,3. Then you'll have to pay the Brenner toll at the toll-gates on the Austrian side. It costs €8,5, but you can gett off the autobahn at Innsbruck north and simply follow the B182. It'll take you longer, buts some of the places are worth while seeing.

On the Italian side you simply continue down the italian autobahn until Vipiteno - or you simply continue on the strada stadale, the normal road that gets you also down to Vipiteno. If you prefer the very cheap autobahn through a not very interesting valley you won't do anything wrong, all up the autobahn on the Italian side from Brenner pass to Fortezza costs you less the €3,50. In Vipiteno you'd have to pass the automatic tool gate where you have to take your ticket. You continue until Fortezza where you gett off and head for Val Pusteria.

You can pay the toll in cash, in Austria as well as in Italy.

Have a good drive and enjoy your days in Bruneck

India
Level Contributor
118 posts
40 reviews
2. Re: Toll queries (Austria - Brenner Pass - Bruneck)

Thanks a lot.

Your response helps in clearing a lot of smoke :-)

Could you please clarify - after buying the toll ticket , can I do zig-zag between the toll road (A 13) and B182 ? This will give us flexibility and we will be at liberty to drop off whenever we feel suffocated by motorway driving, since we equally value drives through villages/ nondescript outposts which enables us to take in the culture more closely.

Thanks.

San Lorenzo di...
Destination Expert
for South Tyrol Dolomites
Level Contributor
731 posts
3. Re: Toll queries (Austria - Brenner Pass - Bruneck)

well, there is no real need for flexibility. the drive isn't that long at all (Innsbruck-Bruneck: 1:15hrs). The toll ticket is a single use ticket and no day ticket, so you can't hop on and off as you planned to do, sorry.

India
Level Contributor
118 posts
40 reviews
4. Re: Toll queries (Austria - Brenner Pass - Bruneck)

Thanks for very clear information. Single use ticket - therefore we will try to do the initial stretch and then get off, if needed, at later stage.

Seems that traffic on autobahn is going to be high during first week of June !

Thanks a ton for nice information.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Toll queries (Austria - Brenner Pass - Bruneck)

I plan to rent a car in Innsbruck and drive to Bozen (Bolzano) Italy and return. Can anyone tell me if the tolls on the Brenner Highway apply to rental cars? Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,522 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Toll queries (Austria - Brenner Pass - Bruneck)

Tolls in Europe apply to all vehicles. People in rental cars use the road, so they have to pay.

UK
1 post
1 review
7. Re: Toll queries (Austria - Brenner Pass - Bruneck)

I know that this is an older post, but here is some other useful info:

Italian diesel is €1.36 - €1.42 per litre on average, and Austrian diesel is about €1.11 (Summer 2017)

Buy your diesel in Innsbruck if you're going South, or have enough fuel to last from 50Km before the Italian border till you are all the way into Innsbruck. I have seen diesel as expensive as €1.95 in Brenner Pass in the last few months.

If you are coming North, take the first Innsbruck exit and drive into town. At the first MAIN traffic light turn West (You cannot go straight on, only left or right over the tram lines. You take left) and drive along the main road that goes West out of the city. You will pass a couple of gas stations.

If you are going South, do the opposite.

I hope that is helpful . . . . John McK

Edited: 14 August 2017, 17:28
Vancouver
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: Toll queries (Austria - Brenner Pass - Bruneck)

Thank you John for your info. I posted my question back in March 2014, and Tripadvisor advised me of your comment today. As it happens, I'll soon be travelling this way again so, so your advice is most helpful and appreciated. Cheers, and all the best to you. Hugh Martell from Vancouver Canada.

Reply to: Toll queries (Austria - Brenner Pass - Bruneck)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Province of South Tyrol