We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SOS!! April 9 Trip Planned!!! Red Tide/Wildfires!!!!!

ohio
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
SOS!! April 9 Trip Planned!!! Red Tide/Wildfires!!!!!

Hello to the TripAdvisor forum community.

I am in DESPERATE need of advice. I have a trip planned to Riu Guanacaste and I'm terrified the Red Tide and WIldfires are going to ruin my trip! Is there anyone there on the ground that can help me assess how bad it is there? HELP!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SOS!! April 9 Trip Planned!!! Red Tide/Wildfires!!!!!

Relax. Breathe.

Now -- if you are heading this way on April 9, there's not a lot you can do about it. Red tide changes all the time -- one day it's here .... the next day it's gone. It depends on many things: rainfall, wind, currents, temperature. So if someone wrote and said, "The red tide right now is horrible!" then when you get here, it might be gone!

Wildfires shouldn't affect you. What wildfires are you talking about? There have been some wildfires in Santa Rosa National Park but that is not close to where you will be.

If the worst should happen and you arrive at the RIU Guanacaste to find the beach littered with dead fish and the red tide in full flow: rent a car and drive yourself to the nearest beach that doesn't have red tide. Keep your air conditioning on at night.

The day you arrive, find out where the wildfires are and avoid them. It's not like all of Guanacaste is on fire!

ohio
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: SOS!! April 9 Trip Planned!!! Red Tide/Wildfires!!!!!

Thanks for the message! I know what you mean. The travel company is insisting the red tide isn't affecting the resort area, but I'm pretty sure toxic algae doesn't discriminate coastal water! I heard on the reviews that there's a wildfire in the hills around the Riu and that smoke takes over the resort at night. I wish I just had a webcam on the beach and could see the smoke or toxic water a) if it's really out there and b) if it's bad enough to put a damper on this once in a lifetime trip.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: SOS!! April 9 Trip Planned!!! Red Tide/Wildfires!!!!!

Hopefully the red tide will be gone by the time you come to Costa Rica. There are no wildfires that you can see from that area at this time.

Edited: 05 April 2012, 03:47
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SOS!! April 9 Trip Planned!!! Red Tide/Wildfires!!!!!

The thing is: unless you can cancel and re-schedule, what are you going to do differently if there is red tide and smoke from the fires? Nothing, really.

Just think in terms of some alternatives. You don't have to be a "prisoner" at the resort - if there is red tide, go to another beach. If there is smoke - spend most of the day somewhere else.

As Costa Ricans like to say.... "tranquilo!"

CALI
Level Contributor
477 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SOS!! April 9 Trip Planned!!! Red Tide/Wildfires!!!!!

Red Tide or not, the beaches at the Riu are nothing special. Chances are you wont be spending much time at the beach in the best conditions

6. Re: SOS!! April 9 Trip Planned!!! Red Tide/Wildfires!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 21:17
Get answers to your questions about Playa Matapalo