We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st trip - Glencoe Suggestions 7 days in October

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
39 reviews
29 helpful votes
1st trip - Glencoe Suggestions 7 days in October
Save

Hi All

Finally booked to visit Scotland in October we will be 4 adults staying in Glencoe. Most of the time we will be lighting the fire, eating good food and pootling around.

however I want to dot the week with trips out, we are all able to do a level gentle walk, appreciate beautiful scenery and I am looking for any suggestions for the week.

we have already decided we want to go on the west coast railway one day, Are there any islands we can visit from this area? My husband would love to visit a distillery and we do like castles/historical houses etc.

Thank you so much

11 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,628 posts
597 reviews
209 helpful votes
1. Re: 1st trip - Glencoe Suggestions 7 days in October
Save

A nice, level, walk would be to the Steall Waterfall at the far end of Glen Nevis.

Also consider driving down Glen Etive.

Other scenic option might be the Mountain Gondola on Aonach Mor, next to Ben Nevis.

There are distilleries in Fort William (Ben Nevis) and Oban (Oban!), with my preference being the latter one.

Oban is also a good jumping off point for the Isle of Mull with the ferry to Craignure.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
5,222 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
2. Re: 1st trip - Glencoe Suggestions 7 days in October
Save

The island of Lismore it easily reached by a foot ferry from Port Appin, easily walked or cycled, this historic island is surrounded by majestic mountain scenery and the hotels in Port Appin offer good dinner choices on return.

By lighting fires, do you mean that your accommodation has a fire/fire pit or similar?

Because the west of Scotland is often at very high risk for wildfires and going about lighting bonfires will not get you much of a welcome.

Castles - Kilchurn Castle on Loch Awe, Dunstaffnage Castle by Oban, Castle Stalker in Appin and Old Inverlochy Castle by Fort William are all classic and historic highland types.

Edited: 20 April 2021, 15:35
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
694 reviews
732 helpful votes
3. Re: 1st trip - Glencoe Suggestions 7 days in October
Save

Great place as a base - so many options, many already listed above.

You're too late to travel from Mallaig (or Arisaig) to spend time in one of the beautiful Small Isles, though in October you can do a non -landing cruise with Calmac from Mallaig. Usually a lot to see on the crossing - dolphins, porpoises possibly whales etc though not guaranteed and you need to keep your eyes peeled!

The scenery is absolutely stunning throughout.I often think that one day spent on one of the Small Isles - Eigg or Canna in particular - should be a 'must' on any Scotland trip:)

https://www.calmac.co.uk/activities-and-events/activities/calmac-small-isles-cruise

You could do part of one section of the West Highland Way , from Kingshouse to Ba Bridge and return. Fantastic walk, about 9 miles return.You can do a whole section across Rannoch Moor if you use two cars.The excellent website below outlines many walks in the area and grades them.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/glencoe.shtml

Walking along the Lairig Gartain walk is very flat and on a good path and takes you quickly into wild, lovely country between the mountains with a fine river for a picnic on a nice day.

Inveraray Castle is very do-able from Glencoe also.Nice wee town too and good places to eat.

The Glencoe Lochans walk is short and might suit though there's rather too much tree cover now for me.

Getting over to Mull on one long day would be a must for me, it's a great, beautiful island.Iona is glorious and you can also book one of the trips to Staffa.

You could also cross on the Corran Ferry and explore some of Ardnamurchan (which also offers another route to Mull via the ferry at Lochaline/Fishnish, quicker than going via Oban given your base.

The Kilcamb Lodge hotel is great for lunch.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,579 posts
146 reviews
76 helpful votes
4. Re: 1st trip - Glencoe Suggestions 7 days in October
Save

You are spoilt for choice.

If you enjoy your west coast rail journey you could try going in the other direction, towards rannoch moor.

There is a lovely walk around loch ossian, on the level from Corrour station. It is 8 miles all the way round, but you don't have to do it all. If it hasn't shut for the winter, the Station Restaurant there is very nice too and a cosy place to wait for your return train.

Another intereresting option is to take a trip across the Corran Ferry, to some lovely scenery. There is some nice flattish walking at the Ariundle Oakwood.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
13,586 posts
175 reviews
148 helpful votes
5. Re: 1st trip - Glencoe Suggestions 7 days in October
Save

There is a lovely circular walk at Port Appin and you could have a coffee then do the walk, or walk first and come back to the Pierhouse Hotel for lunch, the food is lovely!

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/argyll/portappin.shtml

This is a level walk and not too long. Distances are mentioned in the walk information in the link above.

The little ferry over to Lismore is fun but I found the island itself required being on the road a lot though there's very little traffic. Lismore Island Cafe and Heritage Centre is another option for a refreshment stop though it's quite a walk from the ferry! I'm mentioning that because you say you are all able to do "a level gentle walk" which I wouldn't say this was. We hired bikes from the hotel because we were staying there but there also used to be a bike hire place in Port Appin village ( not sure if it still exists) and for me this made the trip a lot easier than walking there and back on Lismore.

If you do go to Port Appin you will see Castle Stalker which is very photogenic, especially when the tide is in, you can get some nice reflections.

https://www.appin.scot/organisation/castle-stalker-view-cafe-and-gift-shop

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
13,586 posts
175 reviews
148 helpful votes
6. Re: 1st trip - Glencoe Suggestions 7 days in October
Save

If you can get over to Mull, do! The ferry trip over is worth it alone for the lovely views you will see on a clear day. Mind you it can be choppy and very cold depending on the weather so be prepared and dress accordingly, though I'm sure you will. There are a lot of people who visit Scotland who think it's cold and raining all the time!! ( It isn't if course, and I don't mean you!!) Mull isn't a large island but because of the single track roads in some bits, progress can be slow, plus you will keep stopping to take photos. I'm not sure I would advise you to visit both Tobermory AND go down to the other end of the island for a visit to Iona, but it depends how long you would plan to spend on the island. Clocks go back right at the end of the month so it doesn't sound like that's going to affect you, but you will be limited by ferry times so bear that in mind when planning your day trip.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
9 reviews
1 helpful vote
7. Re: 1st trip - Glencoe Suggestions 7 days in October
Save

Do have a browse through the walkhighlands webpage woodybark linked to. I would call the Steall Falls walk moderate for the general public, it is a bit rough and has 200 m elevation, but it is a very nice walk and viewpoint that you can take steady and you get views even if you don't cross the bridge. Great ideas above and I too would encourage you to do one or two day trips to Mull (to do Iona one day and the rest of Mull the other).

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
694 reviews
732 helpful votes
8. Re: 1st trip - Glencoe Suggestions 7 days in October
Save

The Steall Falls walk does have a warning at its start because it IS narrow in places and does edge along a steep gorge, on a rocky uneven path which can be slippery in places.

Lismore never wildly appealed to me though I've only been once.'I walked from the ferry to the far southern end where it got better scenery wise, but before that it was basically a quite hilly road walk past houses.

Mull is a pretty large island in my book:) Doing Tobemory AND Iona in one day would be rather a lot, possible of course, but much better if you have 2 nights to enjoy it all , negotiate the single track roads and have lots of time and energy to stop and admire the fabulous views all over the place.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
39 reviews
29 helpful votes
9. Re: 1st trip - Glencoe Suggestions 7 days in October
Save

Wow thank you so much for all the advice

We definitely want to visit mull, what is the most direct option from glencoe?

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
39 reviews
29 helpful votes
10. Re: 1st trip - Glencoe Suggestions 7 days in October
Save

Yes our accommodation has a log burner, would not dream of lighting a fire outside - leave no trace is our motto 👍

Edited: 21 April 2021, 19:13
Reply to: 1st trip - Glencoe Suggestions 7 days in October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Glencoe
More Glencoe Topics
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.