We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picaridin for no see ums

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
118 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Picaridin for no see ums

Hi all,

I've seen a lot of posts about how bad the no-see-ums are in Eleuthera, but haven't seen anyone mention using Picaridin repellent. Maybe the no-see-ums we have here are different in the southern US, but we use a Picaridin based repellent (vs. DEET), and it seems to keep them away. Just throwing it out there in case anyone wants to give it a try since it sounds like they can be pretty resistant to other methods.

Mentioned in this post
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
13 replies to this topic
Governor's Harbour
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Picaridin for no see ums

We’ve used Picaridin for years, and we find it to be effective for both adults and children.

Florida
Level Contributor
530 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Picaridin for no see ums

Only DEET works for me. Picaridin is only marginally effective.

Edgewood, Kentucky
Level Contributor
52 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Picaridin for no see ums

We were on the island in April and took Sawyer’s Picardin... applied religiously and frequently and still ended up with 11+ bites from around my knees down. I am notoriously a magnet for bug bites though. We only took Picardin so I cannot compare to the effectiveness of Deet. I’m not saying the Picardin wasn’t effective (it surely was 2 years ago on STJ), but just be sure to apply thoroughly when you are outside.

North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Picaridin for no see ums

Picaridin doesn't dissolve my expensive bathing suits the way Deet does so I try to use it when I can. I find that it works well for no see ums if a good coat is applied to my legs. I haven't found it to work as well for mosquitoes. They often land right on it during the day when I apply it to my arms and legs so I need to do some swatting when sitting in the shade. At night, I use Deet if I'm going to be outside.

Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Picaridin for no see ums

I've read Nasonex (yes the nasal spray) is a god-send for rubbing on noseeum bites. It's a stronger steroid than cortizone cream. One year my son was eaten alive (I think he was attacked at an outdoor restaurant at night in a shrubby area in NPP) - up all night in pain/itching needing to wrap his legs in cold, wet cloths for weeks afterwards. The following year we followed a B12 regimen for a few weeks prior to coming down and brought a Rx of Nasonex but didn't need to use it all! The bugs didn't touch him. Coming in June and will bring Nasonex. Hoping Murphy's Law prevails once again!

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Picaridin for no see ums

B1 or B12? I heard it was B1. I take B Complex so it has both, but now I'm wondering which it is. Experts will say there is no evidence it works, so I always wonder if fewer bites are due to less rain, more wind, more Deet, Off lantern, or all of the above.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Picaridin for no see ums

@bythesea12 - Read your last sentence outloud and add this one right along> 🎤 🎼and a Partridge 🎶 in a 🎵 Pear Tree! 🎺......

OK! OK! I thought it was catchy

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
257 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Picaridin for no see ums

Find what works for you. Pay no attention to what "the internet" says will work. Personally after 50 years I don't get bitten at all anymore. But mosquitoes and no-see-ums are still pests!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Picaridin for no see ums

What? Pay no attention to what "the internet" says?

You cleverdolphin you! ;-D

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Picaridin for no see ums

Has anybody tried 'Permethrin'? I know its for gear and clothing so perhaps not a good match for battling bugs on a beach.

Any Canucks try it in the North woods? We are going North this summer to do some remote fishing.

Reply to: Picaridin for no see ums
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted