We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wrecked boat at Bird Point

Northboro, MA
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Wrecked boat at Bird Point

Everyone,

I meant to post this after our trip to Cat Island in April, but you know what happens when your return to the real world.

Anyway, we made a trip to Bird Point to see how the beach was and to do some possibly shelling and seas bean finding. As we made our way North around the first bend we saw in the distance a wrecked boat. We really were fearful that it was recent. When you got to it, it was really two boat, a larger boat in the sand/water, and the smaller boat pushed almost into the shoreline tress.

The name on the stern was Conch Express. It was in real bad shape. No deck, engine, pretty much everything gone except a large amount of netting, so maybe it wasn’t a conch boat but a fishing boat.

I’m pretty sure this boat went ashore after Oct 8, 2015 because that is the image date on Google Earth.

Anyone have any firsthand information about this boat? Who, when, why?

Thanks,

Hawkeye

4 replies to this topic
Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wrecked boat at Bird Point

Sorry, no info on the boat, but we have that area marked on our map for potential exploration for our trip in July. I had marked a cross road from near the middle of Wilson Bay, which would bring is over north of Bird Point. Sounds like you crossed over on a road to the south of the point if you were walking north? If we make it there, we'll look for the boat.

Satellite images show sand bars about 1000 feet offshore of Bird Point. Is it calm in there? Swimmable? I know the prevailing winds can kick up a good surf on that side of the island.

Northboro, MA
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wrecked boat at Bird Point

Before we went to Cat Island I poured over Google Earth looking at/for the different beach areas and how to get there. We stayed on Wilson Bay and a bit north at 24 35.182N 75 38.474W there appeared to be a straight shot to the beach. Well we tried to find it and sort of did (but not sure) but the road we took had an incline that you would need a full size truck or SUV (high clearance) and working four-wheel drive engaged to be able to drive to the beach. We parked at the bottom and hiked in. It was a Lonnnnnnnnng walk but we made it! The wind and surf were up that day so all we did was walk and enjoy the wind. Like all Atlantic facing beaches, this beach was littered with man-made stuff.

Two days later we stopped in at Yardy’s and asked about how to get to Bird Point and was told to take the road right next to the pump and drive through the dump, boy what an education!!!. And yes this road is south of the point. Just past the dump you turn left and drive along the pond for a distance until you come to a fork and go left up an area of the road that has recently been paved with concrete. If it wasn’t paved, again maybe the full size vehicle with four-wheel drive would work. We were able to drive all the way to the beach but it was slooooooooow going.

Those are not sand bars but small cays off shore. I also calculated the distance to them and contemplated the swim over. It was not even a consideration on the day we went, again wind up and the surf was pounding those cays. When we get back to Cat Island and if it is a calm day I’ll make the swim over.

Hope this helps.

Hawkeye

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,619 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wrecked boat at Bird Point

Watch out for sharks if you make that swim, especially if you go in the summer.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wrecked boat at Bird Point

Thanks so much for checking back in and for sharing all that detailed information! I've been spending WAY too much time on Google Earth and think I follow exactly what you are describing. I'll add this to my notes for our trip.

I was most concerned about a strong current between Bird Point and the cay (thanks for clarifying cay vs. sandbar) even if the water appears calm, but now I'll have think about sharks too. Is there a reason why this spot is more concerning for sharks compared to other areas, or is it the whole Atlantic side vs. the Caribbean side? We will be there in a couple weeks in July and are bringing our snorkel gear and plan to be in the water for hours each day.

Reply to: Wrecked boat at Bird Point
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cat Island
Recent Conversations