We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

place with dining options

Cape breton
Level Contributor
70 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
place with dining options

We stayed at Greenwood several years ago and loved it. We are thinking about returning to Cat island shortly. We thought we would try another place this time. I am looking for a place that has dining options or restaurants nearby. Not looking to break the bank either.

14 replies to this topic
Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: place with dining options

Are you looking for a house or to stay at a resort again?

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: place with dining options

In the north, Shanna's Cove and Tail Winds have dining on site. I ate at Shanna's twice on my trip last summer and it was SO good. There are a couple of rental houses in that area too. You're a short drive from Orange Creek but I don't remember seeing too many restaurants other than the Northside takeaway. There are some more places in Arthur's Town a bit further south (Da Smoke Pot and Hot Spot - both yummy!)

We stayed in Bennett's Harbour but Yardie's was pretty much the only place around. Great conch salad. There is also Sammy T's which is a very small resort but they weren't serving food at the time.

Pigeon Cay will serve food if there are enough guests. Fernandez Bay is great and closer New Bight which has a nice big grocery and liquor store and a few more places to eat (Grammy's, Star Light, Blue Bird plus all the shacks at the Regatta site - I particularly enjoyed Duke's Deck conch fritters).

There's also Ocean Dream which is on the Atlantic side like Greenwood. We stopped by and had a chat with Olga I believe is her name but she wasn't serving food at the time either. Summer seems to be the slow season.

Cape breton
Level Contributor
70 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: place with dining options

I haven't really decided. Our priorities are a lovely long beach and good food. We have stayed in apts and done a balance of restaurants and eating in at other islands but they were not so remote. If a resort offered good food at a reasonable price (such as Greenwood) that would be great. An apt with access to restaurants and good groceries would would suit us as well

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: place with dining options

The food off the resorts (at least what we had) is very typical Bahamian food (fried fish, mac and cheese peas and rice and coleslaw). I ate lunch at Fernandez Bay and had a very nice grilled fish over salad. The food at Shanna's was very good as well. Both have a nice beaches although the one at Shanna's is much longer.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: place with dining options

I had a trip planned to Cat Island this past early November that was going to be our first time there- I had done exhaustive research and had decided on Tailwinds then my dad got very ill and then died- we cancelled the trip since we had both taken so many days off of work that we could not justify a vacation. I liked that it did offer food on site, liked the cottages and the beach... Jungledriver is a great resource.

I hope we will be able to finally make that trip next year sometime- have since planned two trips to places other than the out islands but the out islands are my favorite place on earth. Have a great time!!

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
165 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: place with dining options

At this very moment in time we are sitting in the departures lounge waiting for our flight back home. Have just spent 6 days at a private rental close by Tailwinds. We had 3 breakfasts and 3 suppers there - great food and reasonably priced, would not hesitate to stay there if we venture back to Cat. The beach is spectacular and long and the water beautiful. The guy that runs Tailwinds, at first impression seems kind of gruff, but once you get to know him is very funny and generous. The villas are lovely, clean and very modern. I was worried they wouldn't offer enough privacy but there is more than enough on the beautiful long beach.

We also ate at Da Smoke Pot - delicious ribs! And on our explorer day had lunch at Fernandez Bay which is another lovely spot too, a little more refined than the Shanna's Bay area.

Cape breton
Level Contributor
70 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: place with dining options

Thank you. We booked Rollezz. We plan to check out Tail Winds. I am so excited .

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
164 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: place with dining options

You can't go wrong with Shanna's Cove, the food is amazing as are Gaby and Frank!!!!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: place with dining options

Thanks so , so much rejuvenate!!! I am so glad to know that I did hit the mark for what we were looking for and I will try again for Cat Island and Tailwinds. If you post a trip report somewhere, please let me know where to find it. If not, please PM me any helpful tips and info while it is still fresh so I can keep it. I am so glad you had a nice trip. By the way, where did you rent??? curious.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
165 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: place with dining options

jungledriver - love reading your trip reports! Am envious of your travel accomplishments, I am a chicken at heart, so take small steps and still have adventures, just not as grand as yours.

Swiz - you have reason to be excited, Cat is a beautiful island! We never made it down to check out Rollezz, it sure gets good reviews.

sunshinegril - we were so looking forward to trying Shanna's Cove, however they were closed when we were there. We did walk down to that part of the beach and up all those stairs, what a beautiful view, the cottages and restaurant look lovely. Perhaps next time.....

DnA - yes, try again! I intend to post a review of Tailwinds under their site on TA.

We stayed at vrbo #807620/airbnb Best beach in the Bahamas. Great location, 11 footsteps (less if they were bigger!) to the gorgeous long beach, access to 2 great restaurants, you could conceivably get by without a car if you were content to stay put as there is lots to do, and access to another beauty of a beach through the bush by SC.

Reply to: place with dining options
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cat Island
Recent Conversations