We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xanadu/Good or Bad?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Xanadu/Good or Bad?

I am hearing mixed reviews on this resort. I realize it is off the beatten path but are the accomadations and services unaccepatable or are they trying to recover from past years disaster and making an effort? Has anyone been within the last month?

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
669 reviews
1. Re: Xanadu/Good or Bad?

Read the 3rd review on this page - tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

It's about right. The first two are fake, written by Xanadu (they do that a lot), the fourth one is not very fair, but the third one is about right.

It is being reconstructed, but only the timeshare part is open right now, so there will be almost nobody there but you. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful, the timeshare staff is not. The beach is large and you have it almost to yourself. There is a beach bar there that is open and just down the beach is a very local cookout-type place. There is no restaurant on site except the beach bar, but you have a couple restaurants and a little store that are within biking distance, or a healthy walk, at least a very short cab ride. That's about it.

The rooms that are open I've heard are quite nicely remodeled, with nice views of the ocean and Freeport. There isn't much right at the resort, so a rental car is recommended, or at least hire a driver or plan to ride the bus sometimes or take a taxi.

If you have a car and plan to venture on your own, and plan your vacation, you will have a nice time at Xanadu. Not recommended if you want lots of activity at your resort, but if you like it really quiet then probably will be fine for you. Beach bar, beach, beach chairs, hammock, snorkeling from the beach, local hangout nearby, for a very simple relaxing vacation it has what you need. For watersports, activities, nightlife, restaurants etc you will need to take a taxi or drive yourself. There is a scuba shop on site, but not sure if it's still open or not.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Xanadu/Good or Bad?

Thanks for the insite. I have been to Freeport in the past but stayed at Port

Lucaya, so I am familar with getting around. Just was concerned with this timeshare business.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
669 reviews
3. Re: Xanadu/Good or Bad?

Timeshare business is no big deal. Like with all timeshares, they'll invite you to a presentation when you arrive ("welcome package", etc). Other than that, you shouldn't have any issues regarding it being timeshare.

4. Re: Xanadu/Good or Bad?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Freeport