We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Atlantis right for us? Asking Atlantis experts.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is Atlantis right for us? Asking Atlantis experts.

Hi, I could use some Atlantis experts advice.

1. A little about us.

We are experienced travelers in luxury- lower moderate price ranges markets (depending on the trip/experience). We will be traveling from TX, so there are closer beach options. e.g. Mexico is a 3-4 hr airport to hotel room. This would be an all day affair. But b/c of convenience we are in Mex often and thought the kids would love Atlantis!

Before the kids (ages 1 & 2.5), we went to Atlantis before traveling on into the Caribbean. Probably around 2006 (before the waterpark but it was well under construction). We enjoyed the trip, thought is was expensive but with upkeep of the aquarium & such a big facility, easy to understand where the (I am guess remembering) $20 magaritas money went. (I do remember that the more intimate 5 star hotel we stayed at next being = or less expensive than Atlantis re: room price). Think we stayed in the Royal Towers which was clean and well appointed. We must have splurged on a junior type of suite?? b/c I remember there being 2 rooms. The resort itself was clean (no mold), not overcrowded. Cruise ships either did not have access yet or it was well managed. Gym nice and almost unused. The dinner out at the One & Only Club we still fondly remember. Nobu was okay but nothing memorable.

2. What I am hoping Atlantis is -- similar to our previous experience only with super cool water park that we can easily walk/hotel transport to w/i the resort.

3. What I am afraid Atlantis is by looking at recent reviews -- over crowded due to over selling of day pass & cruise ship day passes. Most rooms in need of renovation (even if price reflects renovation need) except ones that seem to be steered towards luxury guests w/o kids. Restaurants that go on celeb name alone and not necessarily on quality of food and experience.

4. My questions -- A. Is it possible to still have a similar experience as 2006 or is it just completely overcrowded and time to renovate the family rooms (for us, we need a 2 bdrm suite)?

B. Where is the best place to stay w/ 2 young children? i.e. for us, easy access to children's areas (play pools, the dig, etc), well appointed 2 bedroom suites are top concerns.

I really appreciate your time. I apologize if I at all sound pretentious. My meaning is actually the opposite, I don't mind paying in travel time, vacation time off or money where the value equals the cost but I don't want to have an expensive vacation with a very long plane ride if it is going to be overcrowded & in need of upkeep. Maybe best to wait a couple of years??? Thank you again in advance for your responses. Kindly, Erpp

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
751 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Atlantis right for us? Asking Atlantis experts.

Atlantis, sounds about right for you, don't be put off -it's like it was before...

amazing place! for family's juat book a higher level of room-Coral+ (not beach tower)

-don't let the day passers bother you.

Edited: 26 February 2012, 05:57
Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
751 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Atlantis right for us? Asking Atlantis experts.

to book when the least cruise ships come to port in Nassau watch here

it will be alot less busy at Atlantis (change dates)

cruisett.com/ports.php?PortID=455&date=43

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Atlantis right for us? Asking Atlantis experts.

The beach towers and coral towers are no over 40 years old.. and most of Atlantis is showing it's age.

I think your observations are correct. It''s not 2006.. and the cruisers DO take over the property. Hard to ignore this.

Waterpark rides are for kids 48" and above. Otherwise, it's the kiddie park.

If you can go, knowing what you know.. then it's for you. If you are expecting the relaxing paradise, .. it's not.

I'm clearly not a fan, but the facts are the facts. the property is showing it's age. management needs to be retrained, Customer service has to be given authority to make things right, and they need to control the number of outside guests.

With the owners actively trying to sell, and the loans in default I don't see any upgrades in the near future.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Atlantis right for us? Asking Atlantis experts.

Thank you all for your replies!!! I really appreciate opinions from people who are familiar with the property over the years.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
11 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Atlantis right for us? Asking Atlantis experts.

family of 4 going to Atlantis over Thanksgiving...2 parents, 2 college daughters. ( its a basketball tournament thing, otherwise we would not be going!) Question is if the "pull out sofa bed" is big enough for 2? I have ruled out Coral and Beach Tower. Also, would like to have a mini-frig. Are there any available?

Thanks for info!

Whitefish MT
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Atlantis right for us? Asking Atlantis experts.

For families I highly recommend the Harborside condos. We have gone for the past 5 years in March and always book through a broker. He gets us a GREAT price! bcelticm33@gmail.com - Bryan Maloney.

7. Re: Is Atlantis right for us? Asking Atlantis experts.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 00:42
Get answers to your questions about Paradise Island