We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming With dolphins?

San Diego
5 posts
Swimming With dolphins?

Where can we swim with the dolphins? if it's atlantis do I have to be a guest or can I pay the day pass... Also is it actually SWIMMING with dolphins or is it a petting type thing where your not really doing much besides watching the dolphin?

Any info would be great. Thanks!!

Ellicott City, MD
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Swimming With dolphins?

I booked my swim with the dolphins through the Atlantis website while booking my room. I was apprehensive because I was under the impression that I would be swimming on the Atlantis property, but I had read several reviews that the actual "swim" with the dolphins wasn't open yet, but they were doing the "encounter" on the property. I still can’t give details on what they are offering; we never made it to Dolphin Cay to find out!

It turns out that Atlantis outsourced the swim to Dolphin Encounters which turned out to be pretty great, I would definitely recommend it. If you do the swim you are with a group of about ten people and while in the water you get to hug, kiss, dance with & feed the dolphins. Watch out for the seagulls, they will try to take the fish right out of your hand! At the end of the session two dolphins actually push you through the water for a fair distance. It was really fun. The instructors/ trainers were wonderful & the session was just as much educational as it was fun.

If you don't want to actually be in the water I believe that Dolphin Encounters offers an encounter where you pet the dolphin. I didn't participate in this so I can't give details.

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,539 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: Swimming With dolphins?

You can book them directly thru www.dolphinencounters.com

They are located on Blue Lagoon Island, your reservation includes the ferryride to Blue Lagoon from the Paradise Island Ferry Terminal.

New York
Level Contributor
174 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Swimming With dolphins?

Most places do not offer actual "swimming" and that is really better for you. Dolphins are still wild animals and in order to keep everyone safe they need the environment in which they interact with humans to be very structured. There are places in Mexico that allow you to just swim around in a pool with dolphins there but that is very unsafe, and could lead to attacks or inappropriate behavior by the dolphins.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Swimming With dolphins?

As indicated to do the actual swim with the dolphins go to Dolphin Encounters on Blue Lagoon Island which is a short boat ride from Paradise Island. It is a structured activity - the dolphins go through a series of trained interactions - but you are completely in the water and ends with a toe push where the dolphin pushes you across the water. Expensive but a very neat experience.

5. Re: Swimming With dolphins?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 11:24
Get answers to your questions about Paradise Island