We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 restaurants at Atlantis - quick review

Toronto
Level Contributor
26 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
3 restaurants at Atlantis - quick review

Hi I will be posting a full review of my whole stay this past weekend at the Cove but in the mean time, I thought I'd briefly summarize the 3 restaurants we dined at.

On the 1st night, Thursday May 3rd, we went to Dune. Let me preface by saying that I had extremely high expectations of this particular restaurant. All the hype of the OC and being one of Oprah's faves etc. really set the bar high in my mind... so I guess the let down was all the more severe. Pricey dinner... apps, entrees, wine and dessert.. we paid over $430. We had a shared plate (Black Plate, I believe) and a goat cheese app. Both were disappointing. Especially the black plate as it was $38 a head. The goat cheese app was described as a fondue ( or at least that is how I read it, but perhaps the combo of candlelight and wine had me mistaken)... we got something that looked like a philo pastry you buy for $7.99 at the grocery store. They forgot our entrees, which was not a huge deal, except when they arrived my boyfriend's veal was medium well (he asked for blue). My lobster was okay. The sorbets were good and the service and atmosphere was pleasant. One last thing that irked me was that the wines for a few tables were kept in the corner at our table and servers didn't seem to know which were which. They would glance over their shoulders as they noticed me observing them and would take special care to ensure they were grabbing the right ones but more often than not, they just grabbed whichever. It was a little odd. Overall, a 7, but priced like a 10.

On Friday, we dined at Mesa Grill. It was what I expected. The tuna tartar was great, our steaks were good... not as undercooked as I read. No surprises.

On Saturday, we checked out Cafe Martinique. This was another surprise for me. I had read so many bad reviews, but I was blown away! The Marina Village is sooooo romantic but upbeat. The restaurant itself is beautiful is a grandiose way. The service was OUTSTANDING. Robert, our server, was impressively knowledgeable, but not uptight. The food was impeccable. I had the Lobster Terrine and my boyfriend had the duck. I started with the Conch Chowder and it was superb. Yes, it was pricey as well, but well worth it. 10 out of 10!

Mentioned in this post
The Cove at Atlantis, Autograph Collection
The Cove at Atlantis...
3,137 Reviews
New Providence Island
Cafe Martinique
Cafe Martinique
632 Reviews
New Providence Island
Marina Village
Marina Village
225 Reviews
New Providence Island
here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,539 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 restaurants at Atlantis - quick review

Good reviews.. I felt the same about Dune.. don't get me wrong, I enjoy it.. and the atmosphere is usually pretty good, but with all the HYPE, my first time was a big let down.

You really expect to be wowed.. and I just wasn't.

I wasn't overly impressed with Cafe Martinique either. Although it's enjoyable, in comparison to the original, we'll there is no comparison. The new one was a let down. Still a fine establishment. Great serviice, good food, nice ambiance.

Mesa was as expected, but I'd eaten at the NY spot a couple dozen times, so I knew what to expect. Very enjoyable.

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Martinique
Cafe Martinique
632 Reviews
New Providence Island
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 restaurants at Atlantis - quick review

I agree -Dune needs to do some work to regain its elite status. When I visited in March, I was seated in the far end of the restaurant (sort of a separate room) where there is a large table that can accommodate 16+ people and some smaller surrounding tables. The night I was there that large table was occupied by one boisterous group.

As soon as I sat down, I knew there would be a problem. I could not have a conversation with the other two people at my table because this group was so loud. There are 7 other small tables (accommodating parties of 2-4) surrounding this large table and I could see that we were all having the same issue. A few groups were re-seated in the other room. I spoke to the manager a minute or two after sitting down, and he said that the table was due to get their entrees soon, so things would quiet down.

For about 30 seconds it quieted down.

But my real issue, and why I'm responding to this post, is that the problem is a systemic one. I complained to the manager after the meal and he gave us something free. But the whole truth came out when the waiter was apologizing and mentioned that they usually try to sell this room to one group so small parties don't have to deal with the noise (which is typical when you have large tables). Which means Dune knows that this is usually a problem....which is what really upsets me. if Dune wants to be a premiere experience, it can't do things like this - treat some diners as second class while charging full price.

Washington DC
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 restaurants at Atlantis - quick review

In defense of Dune, my girlfriend and I had dinner there the first night of our trip, this past Saturday, and loved it so much we returned Monday night. We did find that the service was a little less than what we're accustomed to when we treat ourselves to an upscale dinner here in the US, but everyone did seem eager to please and took a lot of pride in what they were doing. And, all the food we had was impeccably prepared and beautifully plated, except for the tuna tartare, which was a little mealy: highly recommend the lamb, mahi mahi, and sirloin. Overall, it is a romantic, sexy environment: the prices are high, and the service could be a bit better, but the view, location, and food quality are all outstanding. And, be sure to enjoy a cocktail at the gorgeous bar before or after dinner - get there by sunset and you will be treated to one of the best you've ever seen.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 restaurants at Atlantis - quick review

I agree with TravelinMan25's analysis completely. My food was good and the service was too.

But imagine having that same meal in that same place with a jack hammer or jet engine running next to you. The negative of that one component out-weighed all of the other wonderful ones. I mean we literally (without exaggeration) could not hear each other at our table because of the noise level without yelling. They need to fix this.

sc
Level Contributor
743 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 restaurants at Atlantis - quick review

GrTMan i hear ya' and although I have not experienced that at Dune, I have at Seafire and Matisse. It spoils the evening a tad when you cannot hear your dinner partner!

Mentioned in this post
Seafire Steakhouse
Seafire Steakhouse
758 Reviews
New Providence Island
6. Re: 3 restaurants at Atlantis - quick review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 07:18