We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu experience

port monmouth,new...
Level Contributor
175 posts
31 reviews
Riu experience

Best vacation ever! Do not be fooled by negative reviews. I still can't figure out what people expect. Maybe they feel they are royalty and need everything to be catered to them alone. Family trip, my husband, myself and 28 year old son and 17 year old daughter. We are definitely going back. We all agreed best vacation so far and we have traveled over 25 years with timeshares and other packages. We had a great clean room with a breathtaking view. We slept with the sliding doors open to hear the breaking waves. Beautiful sunrises and sunsets. Hearing the rooms were dated I expected the worse but I thought it was typical island furniture, rooms cleaned well daily extra towels if you needed them. Restaurants all wonderful. The breakfast and dinner buffet was fabulous and I have picky eaters but everyone found something to enjoy. Fresh squeezed juices in AM were great. Steakhouse average Gourmet restaurant very good. Snacks til midnight (hamburgers, hotdogs, dessert ). Drinks at the pool bar from 9am til 6pm and inside bar open all day/night. Staff very friendly for the most part. Front desk staff o.k. I guess they all the complainers !! Saw 2 weddings on the beach. Complaints about stained carpets , well seen in some of the best places too. Great deal for the money. Stopped in Atlantis but a little pricey and busy. I thought the Riu was a more relaxing place. Feel free to email me for any questions.

worksop, uk
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Riu experience

Great news!!! I travel to the Riu on 20th May and have been worried about all the bad reviews. What room did you stay in please? Were you pool side or air conditioning side?

I hope our vacation is as good as yours.

Thanks

Janeen

port monmouth,new...
Level Contributor
175 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: Riu experience

We paid a little more and stayed in an oceanfront junior suite. The rooms in the very front of the building. My kids had the adjoining room. Our room was directly out front to the water. My kids overlooked the water and the pool. I think the king bedroom is in front rooms. My kids had 2 full/ or queen beds, I'm not sure. We were on the 9th floor. People complain about noise outside but I'll tell you the fresh air did us in at night and to be honest I did not hear anything but the waves. About 5:30am they clean the beach so you hear that but only for a few minutes. It was very hot we brought 55 sun screen and still were burnt and bought an umbrella everyday too. I guess if you scrutinize everything you may find a few flaws but just enjoy it. People cleaning all day long. Keep me posted on what you think. I spoke to some friends and we are getting a group together for next May, but I may do a mini vacation before then. People rave about the Atlantis but I think if you just want to relax then this is the place to go. Entertainment complaints from people, I guess they expect top shelf entertainment. I thought they did a good job for locals and after a few margaritas it was fun!!!!

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
3. Re: Riu experience

So glad to hear your positive remarks on the Riu! My husband and i are heading there May 18-21, and have been a little discouraged by the negative reviews.

I guess it is what you make of it....we're pretty laid back Canadians, so I'm sure we'll have a great time. We just need the time away from our hectic lives....

Any advice RE: room selection would be great! I hear the odd numbered rooms are the ones that do not face the air conditioner vents?

Just over a week to go now....SO excited!!

p.s. did you really have to use a 55+ sunblock??? I was going to bring a 15 SPF (and i'm somewhat fair-skinned), perhaps not a good idea.

worksop, uk
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Riu experience

How much is it to upgrade to the ocean front suites? Sorry for being cheeky!

Janeen

port monmouth,new...
Level Contributor
175 posts
31 reviews
5. Re: Riu experience

I am not sure what units face the air conditioning units but if you are on the upper floors unless you look down they are not in your face. The ocean is what you are drawn to. Some overlook the pool, partial ocean and the city of Nassau. You can see the bridge lit up at night. As far as how much more to upgrade I did my trip through a travel agent and just told them what I wanted as per the negatives I read. I believe it may be over 100 dollars a day each to go to the suite instead of a regular room. I am just use to timeshares and having more room but realistically you don't spend that much time in the room and I guess it just depends how important that is to you. I booked a year in advance so the money did not affect me so much. If you check the RIU website you can get an idea of the difference. My room faced the ocean directly, the ones that are seen directly in front of the hotel toward the ocean. Sun is very strong. We all got plenty of color with 55 sunblock. If you are not tan yet I would suggest get a little color before you go. Next trip if we are not able to get some color at home I would probably bring something even stronger.

boston
Level Contributor
51 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Riu experience

to compare room pricing, go to the RIU website and put in your dates..it will show you prices of all combinations of rooms. we stayed in an oceanfront jr.suite for minimal more money thant the oceanview jr suite and standard room (maybe 50 dollars more for all four nights)..could of been the time we went, but for $50, well worth going with the extra space and view is great.

port monmouth,new...
Level Contributor
175 posts
31 reviews
7. Re: Riu experience

The pricing is significantly higher for a suite as oppose to a regular room. It is about 50 to 100 dollars more per night per person. It is a great view and if you like extra room then you need to pay a little more. See expedia for rates but I felt the travel agent really helped with getting me a great room since they tend to block a certain amount of rooms.

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
8. Re: Riu experience

quick question RE: long distance calling. i heard you can pick up a calling card somewhere close to the Riu? Anybody know where?

9. Re: Riu experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 11:21
Get answers to your questions about Paradise Island