We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travling to st. john mid Nov

Illinois
4 posts
Save Topic
travling to st. john mid Nov

My wife and I are staying at Maho. What are the best activites.

Larchmont, New York
Level Contributor
958 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travling to st. john mid Nov

definitely do a night snorkel--and a day sail if you can--they have added so many activities since i last stayed there that I am not competent to remark on all of them, but there's my two cents--enjoy maho!

Frankfort, Kentucky
Level Contributor
258 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: travling to st. john mid Nov

Do you mean the best activities at Maho or on STJ?

Illinois
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travling to st. john mid Nov

We were thinking about a day trip to Jost Van Dyke. Then renting a jeep another day to sightsee. Other than that we are open to suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Jost Van Dyke
Jost Van Dyke
British Virgin Islands
Frankfort, Kentucky
Level Contributor
258 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: travling to st. john mid Nov

It depends on what your interests are, but we like to visit a different beach every day and snorkel. There's so much to do and see, it's impossible to fit it all in our one week. You can rent kayaks, go horseback riding, hike, explore Coral Bay and Cruz Bay, dive, and visit the ruins.

Your best bet is to purchase a couple of books before your trip. "St. John Off The Beaten Track" by Gerald Singer and "Feet, Fins, and Four-wheel Drive" by Pam Gaffin are two good resources.

Mentioned in this post
Coral Bay
Coral Bay
183 Reviews
St. John
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,283 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travling to st. john mid Nov

pjayer hits the books, definitely walk to to Big Maho Bay and Francis Bay. The kayaks they rent at the beach are fun and they have a dive operation as well. We really enjoyed doing a day sail to the BVIs that we booked through Maho. I would also plan some time to visit Cruz Bay via the shuttle and grab dinner or drinks and hit the grocery store.

You can read a trip report from our 2004 visit at garvin.us/STJ/Trip_Reports/2004-Maho_Bay_Cam…

Cheers, RickG

Mentioned in this post
Maho Bay
Maho Bay
446 Reviews
St. John
Francis Bay
Francis Bay
330 Reviews
St. John
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
Illinois
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travling to st. john mid Nov

When you went to BVI what did you see or go to?

We were thinking of going to Jost Van Dyke (Soggy Dollar, Foxy's, Ivan's). What is the best way to get there; via ferry, or a day sail?

Thanks for all the good info.

Mentioned in this post
Jost Van Dyke
Jost Van Dyke
British Virgin Islands
Foxy's
Foxy's
659 Reviews
Jost Van Dyke
Rocky Top
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travling to st. john mid Nov

bighead I like the day sail on Cruz Bays Sports boat call The Blast. Ask for Marcus or Patty. They do a great job to JVD and Fosy's and Soggy Dollar!

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
153 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travling to st. john mid Nov

Yeah, depending on how convenient and relaxing you want your trip to be, getting there by daysail would be best. They'll anchor right there for you. If you go by ferry, you have to walk up a big hill and then down a big hill and it'll be a trek by foot to get to those places. Not fun in my opinion! We stayed at Maho a few years ago. Ready for all the steps?

new york
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: travling to st. john mid Nov

Everyone has their favorite activities and snorkels, mine are:

Charter a boat with natecustomcharters.com

Cinnamon Bay

Snorkel at Waterlemon

Lunch at Skinny's

Hidden Reef Eco Tours (east end)

enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Cinnamon Bay
Cinnamon Bay
289 Reviews
St. John
10. Re: travling to st. john mid Nov

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 01:20
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Islands...
More Virgin Islands National Park Topics