We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a car on St. John a must?

muskegon, michigan
4 posts
1 review
Is a car on St. John a must?

My family is planning a two week vacation to St. John the end of november. We will be camping at either Cinnamin Bay or Mayo campgrounds. We want to do alot of snorkeling and beach lounging but would like to rent a vehicle for part of the time to explore the island . Because of the expense we will not be able to rent a car for the entire trip. Will it be very difficult for us ( our children are 10, 14 & 15 )to be without a rental car for 5 or 6 days? Are there enough good beaches and snorkel spots within walking distance of those campgrounds to keep us busy for say 5 or 6 days? Or would the buses be a good option? Any advice on how we could make this trip more affordable would be GREATLY appreciated!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
26 reviews
11. Re: Is a car on St. John a must?

If I was me, I'd opt to go without a vehicle for a few days rather than shorten the time on STJ. In fact, I'd find all sorts of places to make cuts before I'd cut the number of days on the island. I know it would just kill me when departure day rolled around to think that originally I was going to stay five more days. It's going to be pretty cold in Michigan at that time of year.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,111 posts
1 review
12. Re: Is a car on St. John a must?

OK, here is what I would do........

Plan on staying the full 14 days :)

Stay at Maho and let's say Saturday is your arrival day, don't rent a car on Sun and Mon and just relax, decompress and snorkel at Francis and Little Maho Sunday and spend Mon doing the same at Big Maho, pick up the car on Tues for the next 9 days, and then end the trip (last 2 days) the way you started at Francis, Big and Little Maho :)

This way you get the best of everything - food for thought maybe :) :) :)

Pia

Pulley57
2 posts
13. Re: Is a car on St. John a must?

I would definitely stay for 9 weeks and not rent a car the whole time. We stayed at Maho Bay and loved. There are a lot of steps so I hope everyone is in decent shape. Cinnamon is flat and nice but I have stayed there. Both have a restaurant and small store on site. Get a car for as long as you can and explore the other beaches and hiking trails. Two weeks will fly by.

muskegon, michigan
4 posts
1 review
14. Re: Is a car on St. John a must?

Thanks for the advice on where to get dry goods. I believe this is the route we will go rather than shipping food. Yes I would have liked to have been able to stay the two weeks but with the extra cost for car rental and camping it put it out of our budget. Plus I'm not sure if we wouldn't have ended up killing eachother after two weeks of sleeping in a crowded, hot, sandy tent. We'll see how this trip goes then maybe next time make it a little longer.

15. Re: Is a car on St. John a must?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 09:18
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Islands...
More Virgin Islands National Park Topics