We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recipes for cooking our own meals

Scotia NY
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
recipes for cooking our own meals

4 adults for 1 week in July at Maho Bay would like to cook most of our meals. Any hints or recipes for dinner?

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
7,128 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: recipes for cooking our own meals

FebMom:

Are you staying in the tents? What kind of cooking facilities will you have access to? Grill, stove?

Are you planning on taking food with you?

Will try to help with a little more info.

Carol

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
16,399 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: recipes for cooking our own meals

If you have a grill there you can have a great time cooking pretty much anything from meats to veggies and I'd suggest you go see Ruth at St John Spice for some culinary inspiration. She has a great selection of local spices and seasonings. Cheers!

New Hammpshire
Level Contributor
414 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: recipes for cooking our own meals

steak - on the grill

BBQ chick (marinated in jerk sauce first) - on the grill, with potato salad and green salad on the side

lamb cubes you bring from home, already marinating in shish kebab seasonings - on the grill

a bag of frozen shrimp from home, cooked with butter, tequila, lime juice, garlic and crushed red pepper, with sauce poured over angel hair pasta and topped with grated Asiago cheese- cooked in a big fry pan on the grill

tuna steaks that have been marinating in oil/vinegar/seasonings - on the grill, with cole slaw and mango slices on the side

burgers stuffed w/bleu cheese, diced potatoes cooked in a little foil packet with dots of butter, diced onion and garlic- all on the grill

pork tenderloin marinated in a mix of grainy mustard and either maple syrup or molasses - on the grill

Gee, I'm hungry, wish I was going w/you!

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,792 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: recipes for cooking our own meals

Go to Uncle Joes BBQ for takeout one night. They give you way too much food. The next day or so, get onion, peppers, celery, garlic, tarragon, thyme, rice, butter, flour, seasonings of your liking, and shrimp from Starfish. Peel the shrimp and saute the shells with peppercorns and a couple of sprigs of tarragon. Dump in a small stock pot with water to cover and boil for 45-60 minutes. Drain and keep fish stock in low boil in pot on stove. Make a roux with the flour and butter and stir until it gets red to reddish brown. Pull from heat and stir in veggies and 1/2 your seasonings for about three minutes. Make enough rice for two finished cups. Stir the roux mixture slowly into the stock in rounded tablespoons full. Saute the P&D shrimp until almost done, then toss in the leftover Uncle Joes chicken and rib meat until warm. Mix with the sauce and serve over rice. Add a salad of mixed herbs and micro greens and a loaf of warm french bread.

Virgin Islands
Level Contributor
43 posts
5. Re: recipes for cooking our own meals

I think they just have little camping stoves there, but they are sufficient to whip up small meals.

I like the foil or paper-wrapped meals to keep things simple when on vacay.

New Hammpshire
Level Contributor
414 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: recipes for cooking our own meals

There are hibachis placed throughout the tent sites as well.

Scotia NY
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: recipes for cooking our own meals

Thank you for all your help. We are staying in the tents, were there 30 yrs ago, haven't been since. We will not have a Jeep so we'll be carrying everything in.

I'd like to take things in zip-loc bags that I just add hot water and stir fry veggies!

Thanks for all your ideas -

8. Re: recipes for cooking our own meals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Virgin Islands...
More Virgin Islands National Park Topics