We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best St. John restaurants and dishes, and where to buy groce

Kansas City...
10 posts
Save Topic
Best St. John restaurants and dishes, and where to buy groce

Hi all,

If you get a chance to share St. John Virgin Island best restaurants (and even specific favorite dishes if you have them), I'd be much obliged! Also, we hope to stock up on groceries when we arrive in Cruz Bay by ferry, in order to cook at home some and save money (this is for our honeymoon week in June) - do you recommend an affordable and well-stocked grocery store?

Your responses will be great help as I work to gain familiarity with the island... Thanks!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best St. John restaurants and dishes, and where to buy groce

Star Fish Market is the best stocked. They also have a nice deli/pre-made items counter. It's about 5 minutes from the ferry dock. Your villa greeter can show you where it is. Have you decided where you are staying?

We are one of those "take a cooler with frozen food" with us travelers. We are picky about our meats and cook about 60% of our dinners at the villa. We make all our breakfasts and 75% of our lunches (which we pack in the cooler for the beach). It's not that we are cheap, but rather that we can prepare better tasting meals for a lot less money and we love eating on our own deck while enjoying the sunset. We do carry on only. If you have to pay to check a cooler, than I wouldn't bother.

Pine Peace Market, which is about a minute past Star Fish, has better prices on beer & booze.

Restaurants that we hit every trip:

Ocean Grill in Mongoose Junction for lunch

Aqua Bistro in Coral Bay on Friday for dinner. Ahi tuna. YUM!

Candi's BBQ just before Star Fish Market for dinner. Go early or she may be out of ribs.

Spyglass upstairs at Wharfside Plaza for dinner

The Beach Bar and The Banana Deck are always good for a bite & a couple of drinks

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best St. John restaurants and dishes, and where to buy groce

Affordable grocery shopping is all dependent on where you come from. Grocery prices are much higher for many people so....

Starfish: Well stocked but not cheap

Dolphin: Smaller but I find their prices to be less expensive than Starfish

STJ Market: I love this store. Easy parking and a great selection. Prices are less than Starfish

Pine Peace: Small and difficult parking, but we like to get all our staples and booze there as the prices are awesome

We are cooler people as well. Chicken, bacon, cheese, and hamburger in a carry on backpack cooler. We also pack snacks and coffee. I am convinced that what I bring with me saves me at least $100

Dining:

There are great options depending on what you like.

Banana Deck: Casual and fun. I love their caesar salad with blackened mahi and never miss it

La Tapa: Fine dining and we love it as a special night out

Rhumblines: nice atmosphere with spicy food. I love the ultimate Pad Thai but you have to like it spicy

High Tide: casual and great people. Love the burger

Beach Bar: Great palce for drinks, people watching, and Tuna down now

Skinny Legs: Very casual and a must do for me. Blackened Blue Burger

So many other great places. If you do a search on Top restaurants, you will get a ton of information on all the options on island.

3. Re: Best St. John restaurants and dishes, and where to buy groce

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 20:36
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,621 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best St. John restaurants and dishes, and where to buy groce

I like the Dolphin, Starfish and the STJ Market.

Pine Peace is fine for beer and ice but it doesn't compare to the others. It reminds me of a large, mainland convenience store (without the gas pumps) or a city market.

We like the Lime Inn for the whole grilled jerk snapper (2x this past trip)

Candi's BBQ for take out.

We had a nice between lunch and dinner snack at the High Tide two weeks ago.

I like the fish tacos at the Ocean Grill.

There was a welcome basket from Sam and Jack's deli at our rental and everything is there was very tasty.

NY metro
Level Contributor
566 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best St. John restaurants and dishes, and where to buy groce

ZoZos, Fatty Crab(2x), La Tapa, Morgan's Mango, Lime Inn were all hit this past trip.

Zozos was killer--Well executed Northern Italianish food. Very good service.

Fatty Crab--best pork belly I ever ever et. 2nd trip good (not as), but always outstanding(!!!) cocktails.

La Tapa--Overall very good food. An uncomfortable (fume filled) outdoor dining experience and a lot of small annoying misteps.

Morgan's Mango--Always solid and fun.

Lime Inn--Good bar and happy hour. Dinner this time around was not executed well. Jerk Snapper? Dry as dust.

I agree that Dolphin is relatively reasonably priced. A gnarlier look and feel than Starfish. A nice produce section this past trip.

Edited: 27 February 2012, 23:00
NY metro
Level Contributor
566 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best St. John restaurants and dishes, and where to buy groce

Oh! and Ocean Grill for lunch (previously posted). Very Good lunch. Reasonable prices and well prepared generously portioned Fried calamari and chicken sandwich.

Rockwall, Texas
Level Contributor
897 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best St. John restaurants and dishes, and where to buy groce

I agree with Aqua Bistro and Rhumblines. The grouper dishes at Aqua Bistro and I had an Ahi Tuna wrap at Rhumblines one day that was yummy! My 2 favorites last trip!

Bostone Area
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best St. John restaurants and dishes, and where to buy groce

Not to hijack the post but how do you carry on meats and cheeses at the airport? They let those through the TSA?

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best St. John restaurants and dishes, and where to buy groce

You can carry on food as long as it is not liquid, fluid or frozen.

Do a quick search here on Cooler and you will find more information than you probably want to know about carry-on coolers :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best St. John restaurants and dishes, and where to buy groce

We just got back. I'd recommend Dolphin for Ice and beer, Starfish for food (pricier than Dolphin, but better quality, in my opinion). Depends on how much cooking you will be doing. We only packed staples like coffee, granola bars, etc., and we ate out the entire time.

Our group's fave places to eat:

Morgan's Mango (went twice for dinner--needed reservations on Friday night)

High Tide (the best Tuna!)

Lime Inn (Loved the Lobster)

Rhumblines (was very spicy, but great atmosphere and drinks)

Beach Bar was solid for burgers and loved the seared Tuna bites!

Skinny Legs (drove to Coral Bay twice to have their painkillers, bushwackers, and burgers. YUM! Miss this place soo much!!!!) All around fun place to be.

Wanted to try La Tapa but never made it over there. Also, Fatty Crab's menu looked interesting!

The sandwiches at Deli Grotto for days on the beach were awesome. Grabbed one before our boat days and stuck it in our coolers for lunch. Will definitely do this again next time!!!