We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is air conditioning necessary in July in St John?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is air conditioning necessary in July in St John?

I'm seeing many attractive hillside rentals that don't offer air conditioning, or if they do, it's only in the sleeping areas. Owner claim a ceiling fan and ocean breezes are adequate to keep you cool in the daytime.

Having grown up in Northern California, I'm not very heat tolerant (my ideal summer temp range is 74-84 degrees tops with little humidity) so I don't want to be miserable. On the other hand, I realize we're on a tropical island and we'll be spending lots of time outdoors anyway so it many not be as big a deal as I think. Will we be reasonably comfortable with ceiling fans in late July?

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,305 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is air conditioning necessary in July in St John?

If you happen to get a little too much sun when out exploring the beaches and the humidity is high (like it can be in July) a ceiling fans and breezes might not suffice when trying to get some shut eye. Throw in a couple of bug bites and it can be a miserable night, no matter how much rum I may have consumed.

Suffern NY
Level Contributor
626 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is air conditioning necessary in July in St John?

Depending on the location( Cruz Bay, Coral Bay, Catherineberg, Bordeaux Mtn) elevation( beachfront, on a cliff, on a mountain, trees, open air ect) and your age and health( heat tolerance) A/c in the bedrooms should be adequate. Most of the time, you will not be in the main un-airconditioned room during the mid day hours when the sun is the hottest. You will either be at the beach or in the pool. At sunset you will probably be out on the deck, or maybe away for dinner in town.

We have been going to St John for 16 years both winter and summer. It is only in the last 4 that I need A/c for sleeping on a year round basis. Still dont need a/c in the main house, onless you get direct late afternoon sun right into the house, as in villas like Hawksnest or Francis Bay Villa.

We have visited twice in August and have not had/needed A/c in the main part. Will return this Aug with A/c only in bedrooms.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
302 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is air conditioning necessary in July in St John?

The key to the answer you are looking for is that you said you are not very heat tolerant. In that case, I would definately say yes, you need AC in the bedrooms at night to sleep. I'm on St. John now, in a house high on Ajax Peak and it is humid at night - breezes are blowing, but it's really humid and will probably continue that way into next month because it continues to rain intermittently. The bug situation is also bad right now so the AC would help with that.

We don't have AC and it's fine for us, in fact it's hotter at home in Tampa right now, than here but we're heat and humidity tolerant. We love being high in the hills and can't imagine being lower - the views and the breezes are fantastic.

Enjoy your trip, you will have amazing experiences - we do every time we come and are already planning our return trip.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is air conditioning necessary in July in St John?

Thanks Debicor. I live in Atlanta, and while it's not too humid yet, it is in the low 90s and I can't imagine spending the day without a strong breeze to cool me off. I found a condo in Cruz Bay off Serendip & Beth Cruz Road that has A/C in bedrooms. Is that a high enough elevation to get decent breezes?

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
4,642 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is air conditioning necessary in July in St John?

yes! in the bedrooms without a doubt.

B.

California
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is air conditioning necessary in July in St John?

Just got back from dinner in Cruz Bay a few minutes ago and it's very hot and humid tonight. Thank god our rental has A/C!

Texas
Level Contributor
284 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is air conditioning necessary in July in St John?

If you are use to a/c at home then you will need it!

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
302 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is air conditioning necessary in July in St John?

We're Coral Bay side people so can't really help with that one but I'll bet Pia and the other experts can. Sun is shinning and breezes are blowing this morning - it's delightful. Good luck with your search.

Windermere, Florida
Level Contributor
106 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is air conditioning necessary in July in St John?

I think it is better to have AC and not need it than not have it and wish you did.

St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,553 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is air conditioning necessary in July in St John?

Most homes on St John only have a/c in the bedrooms due in part to the cost of electricity here (400% higher than the States I believe) - there is no way I would not have a/c in the bedrooms in August - actually I have my a/c on at night year round but sometimes only to drown out noise :)

Pia