We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mafolie , Bluebeard Castle or Marriott

Level Contributor
81 posts
15 reviews
Mafolie , Bluebeard Castle or Marriott

Hi everyone,

First trip to St Thomss. .trying to find a decent place within walking distance to restaurants and bars. It seems as if every review i read says that it is not walking distance to CA center. On a map, especially Molfanie it looks as if these 3 are close to everything. Is the terrain that mountainous? We are leaning towards marriot or molfanie. Or would you suggest staying near red hook? Thanks!

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
4,194 posts
24 reviews
11. Re: Mafolie , Bluebeard Castle or Marriott

I agree they are walkable from downtown but how many days would a vacationer be downtown everyday at dinner time?

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,783 posts
59 reviews
12. Re: Mafolie , Bluebeard Castle or Marriott

And Bill, I can't imagine being on the East End every day. Imo, all the Caribbean islands should promote more than just beaches, because they have such a fascinating history and culture. You don't get any of that in East End.

The OP hasn't expressed many preferences yet so as far as I'm concerned it's OP move to give more details.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
4,194 posts
24 reviews
13. Re: Mafolie , Bluebeard Castle or Marriott

Good point Ms411

I had assumed the OP thought town was where the action is at night as that is the case on many islands. As we all know that isn't the case in STT

The OP needs to elaborate on what they want to do on vacation

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,327 posts
2 reviews
14. Re: Mafolie , Bluebeard Castle or Marriott

Bluebeards Castle is within walking distance of CA center as the OP asked - also look into some of the B&B's and smaller guest houses like Green Iguana or 1829.

It may not be recommended by others but I have walked down into town from Mafolie many times in my life - back up is a different story.

Edited: 31 March 2016, 04:09
St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,783 posts
59 reviews
15. Re: Mafolie , Bluebeard Castle or Marriott

Localsailor, 1829 (Hotel 1829) no longer operates as a bnb or hotel. It is only open as a beverage station when Blackbeard's Castle is open for tours.

Level Contributor
81 posts
15 reviews
16. Re: Mafolie , Bluebeard Castle or Marriott

Wow thanks for all of the advice. We like to do a beachy lunch within walking distance to our hotel and then taking a taxi to dinner is fine. Never cook. We loved aruba and playa del carmen but wanted something different and with a more mountainous terrain because its so pretty. Sounds like staying near red hook and taking a ferry to St John or Charlotte Amalie might be the trick. Good to know its much more spread out than we thought

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,783 posts
59 reviews
17. Re: Mafolie , Bluebeard Castle or Marriott

No ferry to Charlotte Amalie. Either drive or take taxi.

You can walk to the restaurant at Sapphire for lunch or the restaurant at Secret Harbor or Elysian. Those are beachfront and are close to Red Hook.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,252 posts
57 reviews
18. Re: Mafolie , Bluebeard Castle or Marriott

Secret Harbor does have a nice beach bar and even nicer restaurant

Irmo, South Carolina
Level Contributor
299 posts
6 reviews
19. Re: Mafolie , Bluebeard Castle or Marriott

Marriott has a ferry that goes downtown and leaves every 30 minutes.

Wann, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
104 posts
72 reviews
20. Re: Mafolie , Bluebeard Castle or Marriott

Chopperz

Given the options you have provided Marriott is your best bet as it has a ferry that runs from it's dock over to CA. If you want to cook yourself and have a kitchen etc you can rent a Marriott Frenchman's Cove Villa. BUT if you are looking for more restaurants and a little more night life, although I have not stayed over there I think the Sapphire Beach area might be a little more suited to your tastes.....