We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around w/out driving

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around w/out driving

Hi! My fiance and I will be honeymooning in May and are curious about getting around on foot. We are both born and raised in our city and do not drive. We are curious to know the relative ease getting around by foot and if it is at all possible to not rent a car. We are from SF, Ca and do our fare share of walking including steep hills, however there is a point for alm of us when its just too much walking. We would greatly appreciate any insight and helpful tips when navigating Charlotte Amalie by foot. :)

Thank you and Happy New Year

Mentioned in this post
St Thomas Shore Excursion: Shopping...
249 Reviews
from US$30.00*
Free Cancellation
St Thomas Mangrove Lagoon Kayak and...
69 Reviews
from US$55.19*
Free Cancellation
Private Fishing Charter in St Thomas
from US$1,440.00*
Free Cancellation
Virginia
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Getting around w/out driving

Let's recap shall we?

"We are curious to know the relative ease getting around by foot"

Not easily done unless you are in town.

"We are trying to identify the most centrally located area that includes shopping and getting to the beach easily" Most of the shopping is in town and there are no beaches in town.

"We'll mostly be lounging, shopping and eating" You'll either need to be satisfied at a pool or take a taxi. You might also look at Marriott Frenchman's Reef and Morning Star Beach Resort - they are on a beach and operate a boat shuttle service to the the waterfront in town. But it's a stiff walk to anywhere from the resort.

"The closer to the beach and shopping the better." Most tourist lodging on and what many consider are the better beaches together with lots of restaurant choices and light shopping can be found on the east end near Red Hook.

I too shall peace out.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,818 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Getting around w/out driving

One of the big advantages to a condo is having a kitchen so you can make your own breakfasts, pack lunches and enjoy dinner eating out on your deck looking out over beautiful views when you don't feel like going out. If you stay on the East end, you can grab a cab to Tutu Park Mall where you can stock up for your stay at Plaza Extra supermarket (less expensive than the Red Hook market options and the cab fare will be the same), go to KMart if you need something from there - several fast food places and other shops there too. Cab will cost you about $5 per person each way and you'll be set for your visit. That was just an additional thought I had!

Hope the planning goes well and that you find the spot which best suits for for a wonderful honeymoon!

Mentioned in this post
East End
East End
St. Thomas
St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Getting around w/out driving

It is easy to get to any beach on the island no matter where you stay. It is not easy to walk to anything from many of the properties on the island, but there are a few in Frenchtown and Red Hook. There just aren't any beach front properties that are easy walking to shopping and eateries.

Cheshire Ct.
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Getting around w/out driving

Getting around on foot downtown is not a problem except for avoiding the many street shills that are ever present on every corner. The other issue is that downtown CA closes at around 5pm and so do some of the restaurants. At night the small allies are not that safe and should be avoided on foot- most folks use taxi services after dark no matter where they go and I highly recommend you do the same. Walking outside the city to other locations is dangerous day or night because the roads are loaded with blind corners and the hilly terrain leaves no pedestrian space. Also you have lots of drivers renting jeeps learning to drive on the left, most for the first time, with steering wheels meant for right side driving. Remain cautiously aware - remember it's a US VI, but it's not the US.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
57 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Getting around w/out driving

There are tons of wonderful places to eat in Red Hook. We stayed 7 days and ate something different almost every night. We also stayed at sapphire village and it was awesome to be so close to the beach and town. It is also close to the ferry to St John... Which has lots of wonderful restaurants and shops minutes from the ferry landing.

But at the end of the day I am very glad we rented a car.. It was the best decision because we had so much freedom to explore both islands in a timely manner. Many of the open air taxis are not reliable as far as time goes. Rental car for sure!!

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Kemah, Texas
Level Contributor
137 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Getting around w/out driving

I would suggest, since you say you don't drive, is to rent a place in Cruz Bay, St. John. You can walk to Franks Bay, Solomon and Honeymoon beaches easily and all the shopping and dining options are right there in Cruz Bay. As a bonus, Is a super easy ferry ride from either CA, or Red Hook, which you could take over from St. John any day of the week to check out St. Thomas. When we stay in St. John we usually take a cab from the airport to downtown CA and hop on the passenger ferry to St. John with our luggage, I think they charge $2.00 a bag or so... I feel safe walking everywhere in St. John, even after dark. It is absolutely beautiful there as well. Happy Honeymooning!

Mentioned in this post
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Getting around w/out driving

Thank you!! I appreciate your input! I found the "Redsnapper" feedback to sound a little one-sided myself in contrast to all that I've learned thus far. Though I value everyone's input, I'm sure there's plenty of great cuisine to be had on St. Thomas period point blank-- and bad food can exist anywhere-- and there's plenty of that to be found here in SF and Oakland (though we clearly have great food also).

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Getting around w/out driving

To reply #26- Thank you!!! We are so excited!! You're the second person who has strongly recommended that we stay on St. John and definitely not the first to mention the lack of safety at night in CA and the downtown areas. Though SF has more than its fair share of sketchy neighborhoods and is a major tourist destination and we are by far used to the crimes of opportunity and can most likely handle ourselves, however I don't feel like its something that I want to have in the back of our mind during our honeymoon. Plus when you're in an area you've never been before you become just as vulnerable as the next guy. I think that we will also appreciate feeling a little more remote, though I think we will have a good time making our way over to St. Thomas a couple days. Thank you-- we'll definitely take your advice and book in Cruz Bay

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Getting around w/out driving

Cruz Bay is great for walking around and has a good variety of restaurants. You'll have a great time staying on St John.

Mentioned in this post
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
30. Re: Getting around w/out driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2017, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Charlotte Amalie