We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around w/out driving

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around w/out driving

Hi! My fiance and I will be honeymooning in May and are curious about getting around on foot. We are both born and raised in our city and do not drive. We are curious to know the relative ease getting around by foot and if it is at all possible to not rent a car. We are from SF, Ca and do our fare share of walking including steep hills, however there is a point for alm of us when its just too much walking. We would greatly appreciate any insight and helpful tips when navigating Charlotte Amalie by foot. :)

Thank you and Happy New Year

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,681 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around w/out driving

It depends on what you want to do and where you'll be staying. More details, pls!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around w/out driving

We are trying to identify the most centrally located area that includes shopping and getting to the beach easily. Its been hard to do that and have been piecing info together from various online resources and try to put it into perspective. So far we've gotten to the point of staying in Charlotte Amalie, but haven't been able to tell what neighborhood would be best suited for our needs. We'll mostly be lounging, shopping and eating. We are looking into Air bnb accomodations, but realized we need to know the relative ease of getting around before we commit to a rental. I hope that better helps. We would be very appreciative of your recommendations. The closer to the beach and shopping the better.

Edited: 07 January 2016, 20:09
St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,681 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around w/out driving

There's a place that recently reopened but it's not on a beach. Very convenient and great views if you have the right room. Not in walking distance to a beach, though. It's in Charlotte Amalie.

Point Pleasant Resort is good if you don't want to drive because they have a shuttle that takes you to some good beaches and restaurants for lunch and early dinner, but it doesn't run late in the night. Easy to get a taxi back to Point Pleasant if you eat and shop in that East End area.

Point Pleasant has a tiny beach and nature trail. Close to quite a few beaches. May not have a restaurant but gift shop has some food items.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
16,076 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around w/out driving

t's not imposible but very difficult to get around without a car. There is public transportation but it's not too reliable (although again not impossible to get around on). I suggest you go onto www.vrbo.com and look at condo rentals at either Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina or Sapphire Village. A studio will suit you just fine, the beach is absolutely gorgeous with good snorkeling, there is a decent restaurant on site (Sapphire Bar and Grille) and you can catch a $1 safari bus on the side of the road to take you into Red Hook where there's a bunch of bars and restaurants as well as the inter island ferry. WAY nicer and safer than looking for something in town.

You'll find a ton of threads on the St Thomas forum relating to Sapphire so hop onto that forum and take a look! No, in case you were thinking it, I don't own there, have no financial stake in it at all but have been recommending it to visiting friends and family for many, many years. Here's a link to the webcam which also links to a great video taken by a visitor with his drone camera:

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com/

Edited: 07 January 2016, 20:40
St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around w/out driving

You might want to look at Island View Guest House -- some uphill walking but not bad for SF comparison - 20 min. down to Linbergh Beach - maybe 25 to Charlotte Amalie downtown - Frenchtown is even closer for dining -day or night - nice dinners available on site a few nights - honor bar, pool, great views - 5 min. down to the "dollar rides" [ our fashion of daytime public transportation] which will get you to Town, Havensight, Kmart, the East End beaches and Red Hook and back to the bottom of your hill home -- daylight only!!

Edited: 07 January 2016, 22:13
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around w/out driving

Thank you soooooo much!! That's very helpful information and we are checking into your suggestions!! :)

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,681 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting around w/out driving

If you are at Island View, you can't walk to other eateries. I love their steak nights, but would not like to be limited to their limited restaurant if I were there for a week.

I used to live in Oakland, and I miss the food. I doubt you'll be happy with food in Red Hook. The red snapper is better here. :-)

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
16,076 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting around w/out driving

" I doubt you'll be happy with food in Red Hook."

That's a rather shocking comment when there are so many restaurants in Red Hook all within walking distance of each other and very varied with offerings to accommodate all tastes. Red Hook restaurant reviews have certainly never supported such a general opinion. I'm a "foodie" who's eaten in many Red Hook restaurants many many times over many many years and only had one bad meal there - at a restaurant whose life was, not surprisingly, quite short.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting around w/out driving

" If you are at Island View, you can't walk to other eateries. "

I too disagree with the post - in under 15 min.walking from Island View you can easily be at numerous restaurants in Nisky and Crown Bay -- and it is certainly within a half hour max walk to Frenchtown for even more eateries.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,681 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting around w/out driving

The "restaurants" at Nisky are Domino's Pizza, cheap Chinese, two Latin Caribbean (one is cafeteria style), Subway sandwiches, and Kentucky Fried Chicken.

If there was a restaurant serving local food in Red Hook I would be more inclined to recommend it. If the original poster decides to stay on the East End without a vehicle then Red Hook is the most convenient option, but they would miss out on local food unless they go to St John and try it there.

I haven't tried the new place in Red Hook so I may have missed something. X I think is the name.