We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown in park - Beware of free vacation scam

Germantown, MD
Level Contributor
8 posts
260 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown in park - Beware of free vacation scam

Beware of clean-cut, personable people offering you free scratch off ticket to win a vacation, gift card, or some other prize. Although I win a trinket at a jewelry store, my husband won a free week vacation or $300 gift card. All we had to do was listen to a no pressure 30 minute presentation. He brought us upstairs to a unmarked office where we were offered drinks. "Annette" from South Carolina gave us a Powerpoint presentation showing the benefits of buying membership into the Island Lifestyles wholesaler vacation membership (normally $9,000 one time fee today only she was willing to bring it down to $2 -$3,000). We would just need to provide a credit card for a life time membership that we can also invite friends family members with us and give them free memberships which would give them 30-70% off cruise or hotel or rental prices.

After we declined, my husband searched the internet and found information about Island Lifestyle scams (or other names they use). They will charge your credit card and you will never get your money back. The travel agent may not mail you the information back or after you call once, they consider you used the service, and since the company is international, it is difficult to get your money back.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
16,083 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown in park - Beware of free vacation scam

Well you know the old adage, "If it sounds too good to be true ...".

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown in park - Beware of free vacation scam

Thanks for posting this. I could see some uniformed, slightly innebriated, tourists buying into this scam.

3. Re: Downtown in park - Beware of free vacation scam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2016, 05:17